Cromwell

ajmac

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cromwells shown on BoB, were representative of vehs from 11th Armoured Div's Armoured recce regt. A Sqn (my old Sqn) 15/19 Hussars who were attached to 506 PIR at the time.

11th AD was not directly committed in Market - Garden. Instead, it was in charge of securing the rignt flank of the operation. Attached to 8th Corps, it was moving on September 18. Progressing in two columns, it managed to reach the parachutists of the 101st airborne at Nuenen, on the 22nd, its engineers established a bridge on the Willemsvaart canal. The Division could then make an encircling movement around Helmond, forcing Germans to withdraw on the September 25th.

In the official history of 11 Armd Div, Market Garden get a mere footnote. It points out as Baz states that 11 Armd Div played no part in Market Garden except that 3 Tp A Sqn 15/19H were attached US 506 Parachute Infantry Regiment.

I have seen a website that claims the Brits portrayed in Band of Brothers were from 26 Hussars ... or 23 Dragoons ... or one of the other old high-number cavalry regiments restored for the duration of the war.

But if you watch the DVD and freeze it with the tank commander's head filling the screen, clear as you like through his goggles is what looks remarkably like a 15/19H officer-pattern sewn-on beret badge.

And if you look and the pictures on the sleeve, you'll see a Sherman bearing a British A Sqn triangle.

Edited by AlienFTM

AlienFTM

And if you look and the pictures on the sleeve, you'll see a Sherman bearing a British A Sqn triangle.

And looking at Ralph Thompson book photo 56 shows a Challenger of 2trp A Squadron with soldiers of 101st airborne -which 506 infantry rgt was part of. -So unless there was a shortage of Challengers for 3trp probably no Shermans (17pdrs) at all

Steve

And looking at Ralph Thompson book photo 56 shows a Challenger of 2trp A Squadron with soldiers of 101st airborne -which 506 infantry rgt was part of. -So unless there was a shortage of Challengers for 3trp probably no Shermans (17pdrs) at all

Steve

That's an entirely valid point. Bazz had already pointed out that 15/19H went through Holland in Cromwells: my point was that a troop from 15/19H was 11 Armd Div's sole contribution to Market Garden.

I refused to count rivets when watching Band of Brothers. In my book, they went as far as they could trying to make it look authentic. I could mention a long list of films that didn't go to so much trouble.

Ralphy Thompson is a damn good mukker, having been my troop sergeant in Omagh a lifetime ago. If you look for a picture of a troop sergeant in glasses inspecting a lance corporal in overalls with the Alanbrooke Barracks, Paderborn Sergeants' Mess in the background, I am pretty sure the back of the lance corporal's head is mine, from 1982, but it was a long time ago and I have never seen the back of my head in the flesh anyway.

;o)

I refused to count rivets when watching Band of Brothers. In my book, they went as far as they could trying to make it look authentic. I could mention a long list of films that didn't go to so much trouble.

I cannot agree more. You are a sad anorak if one is counting rivets watching such movies - they are not a documentary! Try to enjoy the story. The tanks and vehicles are only there to dress the set.

Off my soap box now.

Now come on, it is very un-sporting to post a lovely photo of a restored Cromwell and no one to give a few bit and bobs about it's history (I don't mean you Richard, as it was just passing). I PRESUME from the info sloshing around over the last few weeks that if it isn't Clive W's then it is an ex-Charioteer from Finland or a ex-Centaur Dozer. If that's the case could you explain how I tell.... Adrian?

Turret looks like it came from a range from the little nicks on the front plate.

Ok Eddy, the bar has been set, don't even think about rolling your Cromwell out until it looks as sharp as this one or even better in as good a condition as Adrians Sherman V looked at A&E 2010?

Edited by ajmac

Now come on, it is very un-sporting to post a lovely photo of a restored Cromwell and no one to give a few bit and bobs about it's history (I don't mean you Richard, as it was just passing). I PRESUME from the info sloshing around over the last few weeks that if it isn't Clive W's then it is an ex-Charioteer from Finland or a ex-Centaur Dozer. If that's the case could you explain how I tell.... Adrian?

Turret looks like it came from a range from the little nicks on the front plate.

Well, it's an F type hull and there were no F type Centaurs.......

You can't really see in the photos (Richard, you need to be taller!) but it has a large turret ring......

Hi Adrian

The Cromwell turret shown has a squarish mantlet aperature with a radiused corner above the sights -verry similar to the 95mm Mk6 turrets was this an attempt to have a universal turret for 75-95mm (as did the Churchill Mk5 and 6 and later Mk4 T17**** serial).

Also I was looking at a pic of a Knocked out Mk6 in the Villers Bocage through the Lens book in that the Besa looks asymetrical to the main barrel (could be damage or the angle of the shot) -were the guns fixed at the same elevation or was the Cromwell 6 (95mm) similar to the Mk8 Churchill and possibly the A10 CS fitted with an excentric mount.

Steve

Hi Adrian

The Cromwell turret shown has a squarish mantlet aperature with a radiused corner above the sights -verry similar to the 95mm Mk6 turrets was this an attempt to have a universal turret for 75-95mm (as did the Churchill Mk5 and 6 and later Mk4 T17**** serial).

Also I was looking at a pic of a Knocked out Mk6 in the Villers Bocage through the Lens book in that the Besa looks asymetrical to the main barrel (could be damage or the angle of the shot) -were the guns fixed at the same elevation or was the Cromwell 6 (95mm) similar to the Mk8 Churchill and possibly the A10 CS fitted with an excentric mount.

Steve

Steve, that turret is the modified original pattern. Previously considered by some as the second pattern, the original type having a bevel in the top right hand corner (as you look at the front). The last pattern having a bevel in the bottom right hand corner and usually seen on 75mm armed tanks.

My observations of turrets showed the second type merely to be the first with the bevel cut out, some neater than others! This was to allow for the later mantlet which had two telescope positions, though only the upper one seems to ever be used.

The 95mm turret has a different front plate and mantlet, the hole in the front being wider to suit. The 95mm tube is larger in diameter at that point than the 6 pr/75mm. The BESA in all Cromwells is fixed in line with the main gun and elevates with it but the 95mm installation has it a little further away from the main gun than the 6pr/75mm.