Antar Type B going as a Range Target

panzercommander

Stormin

Bit of a shame, surely something smaller would prove more challenging, an Antar is the proverbial barn door of a target.

Yes far too easy a target -don't think the Talebs use any as "technicals" from news stories most use cross country motor bikes -and I would have thought RCMP will have confiscated pentry of bikes from biker gangs over the years:D
Tony B

Should last a while then! :D

It will last about one pass by a modern aircraft then it will be down to a bare chassis.

Anyway IMO a swap for an M4A2 76 HVSS would be a good deal.

Edited by steveo578
addition

Never thought I would post these

trucks as a stop line on the OTA air range

What would happen if civilian vehicles were used;- a Bedford CF work bus used as personel carriers by the forces, these were variously positioned on the air range including either side of the bailey bridge all were more or less flattened , There are a couple of elderly civilian cars -probably Ford Popular or Vauxhall 8 at the end of OTA air range at Redesdale where the aircraft target were once, -both cars were buried either deliberately or by accident. Nearbye is the chassis of a short wheelbase tractor unit possibly a Crossley or Commer- but despite a search I can't find the pic.

Bedford QL GS not on the air range but subject to intermitent light gun and mortar fire- surprisingly many vehicles manage to still have inflated tires even after years on the range.

Remains of a 25pdr traversing ring on OTA air range.

img042a.jpg

img042d.jpg

img042b.jpg

img042c.jpg

Stormin

Correct me if I'm wrong but I imagine that most practice weaponry doesn't carry the full explosive charge, for safety and cost reasons.

Yes, all of that, but it depends on the range- The largest live bombs permitted on ranges in UK is about 250kg -most live bombs dropped at OTA are about half that -but some huge buggers were dropped in 2002 during training for the 2nd Iraq war, the cratters are proof enough. Prior to this there were a small herd of stalwarts most with Hi-Ab on the air range- jealously guarded by RAF and only targeted with cannon, but they suffered very badly during the 2002 training.

The only range in UK that allows larger bombs is Cape Wrath where 1000kg can be dropped on the Island target. I don't know what restrictions are current at Tain and Somercoats (humber).

However practice bombs of up to 1000kg that are used on air ranges by their kenetic energy alone they would take the cab/ balast box clean off an Antar -don't care how mighty they are:-D additionally 30mm cannon firing either live or practice as done on OTA,Tain and Somercoats are very destructive on soft targets. I no idea what are the rules on Canadian air weapons ranges.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34435[/ATTACH]

Just for fun;- a bare hull of an FV432 blown up and fell tail first back into the cratter on the OTA air range. the red cross on the floor plate was from a previous target application.

Steve

Edited by steveo578
grammar

antarmike

I am confused as to what a B type Antar is.

I assume it is a somewhat sloppy method of distinguishing between a 5th wheel and a balast bodied vehicle, I heard of a type B before but don't bite my head off it's not my designation -I'm only offering an explaination:(.

• 3 weeks later...