Chieftain MBT, Would love to look over one again after all these years.

tankie1rtr

Hi All.

I served with the 1st Royal Tank Regiment from 1971 as a Gunner/Driver on Chieftains, (yes very early chieftains) I was 18 when I joined up. I am now 57 yrs old and as I approach my golden years I have the urge once again to have a good look round a Chieftain, I live in York, and would love to know if anybody in the area owns a Chieftain that they would kindly let me clamber over and drool once again, (I am sure that there are some tankies left that remember the old B.O.T. (Breech Opening Tool) and how we creamed ourselves when they brought out the MK3s with a breech opening handle. Well if anybody would give me back some of my young year memories, I would be a very happy trackhead......

Cheers to all.

John:D

John, there's bound to be one around somewhere not too far away. I know the feeling, after about 35 years I spent a lot of time learning all about the Centurion again, and the day I lifted engine and transmission decks after all those years was quite a moment. (Sad isn't it?). I didn't actually lift them on my own, as I did whilst a driver, but it was good to see all the gubbins again. I drove one as well, gear changes not quite as slick I fear. Probably best not to go down the "corporate tank driving " avenue, you might be disappointed. Not to mention empty of wallet.

I googled "Chieftain tanks in the North of England" and a few things came up, but all appeared to be business things. Someone will know I'm sure. I'll ask the question on our old comrades web forum, but will probably get a load of "humourous" replies!

If you live in York the Elvington one is definitely worth a look. It is a prototype and has suffered somewhat from many years of being stood outdoors - the bins particularly are badly corroded. I would imagine if you go when it's quiet perhaps early morning weekday they would let you have a look over it...

Hi.

Thank you for your reply, I know about the one at Elvington, I was helping to rebuild it, I got a visit from Mr Grundy from Wigan and he donated a Loader/Operators seat and a track bashing hammer free of charge to the Museum, so I let him have a look over the tank, later on I got a right bollocking for letting him look over it, I even told them that he had donated stuff for it free of charge but they said that doesnt matter, so I told them to stuff it, and didnt go back again. Talk about bloody ungrateful........ anyway its not a real Chieftain as I know it, it is an Automatic gear change not like our real ones with the foot gear pedal, and it has a steering wheel. I am afraid I was trained on a Real Chieftain, Mk2 / 3 / & 3s. where we had to use a BOT (Breech Opening Tool) and we had a Ranging gun, NOT play station Gunnery.....lol. Dot 4 Breakback, On, Fire, Firing Now!!!!!! Oh my god I am going off into that world again.

Regards to All

John, there's one at Elvington. Not sure if you can climb all over it, but you can ask.

Hi Loggy.

If you could please, That would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

Regards

John

My mate knows a guy who owns one, it was at War and Peace and looked like brand new. He's done a good job of the restoration. I can ask him where abouts he lives if you like?

Hi Timbo.

Thank you for your reply. Yes I know about the one at Elvington, I worked on it, please see my other post in depth.

Regards

John

If you live in York the Elvington one is definitely worth a look. It is a prototype and has suffered somewhat from many years of being stood outdoors - the bins particularly are badly corroded. I would imagine if you go when it's quiet perhaps early morning weekday they would let you have a look over it...

BOB!

Is that you ? its John from York, I used to call in to see you and have a cuppa with you a few years ago, ALSO, I have just written a post on the Chieftain at Elvington,(In reply to a guy on this topic who answered me) that you came up and had a look at, If you remember I was helping to rebuild it and Invited you over to have a look over it, and you donated a Loaders Seat and a Track Bashing Hammer to the museum for it. Well I got a MEGA bollocking for letting you look over it, I argued that you had just donated some parts to the museum for it, and they said it didnt matter, you had no right to go inside it, so I told them to stick it up their Arse, (Pardon the language, but I was livid) so that put the knockers on that. I lost touch with you because I had a PC crash and lost your details and number, I also lost your card. So pleased to be in touch again. my email address is johnmusic1@hotmail.com and my number is 07855 648886. please give me a call.

Regards

John

Where do you live ?

I ask because I may be getting one to do some horrific de-activation work before it goes to

the USA.

My place is very close to Junction 24, M6 south of Wigan

You will be welcome

Bob

• 4 weeks later...
Hi All.

I served with the 1st Royal Tank Regiment from 1971 as a Gunner/Driver on Chieftains, (yes very early chieftains) I was 18 when I joined up. I am now 57 yrs old and as I approach my golden years I have the urge once again to have a good look round a Chieftain, I live in York, and would love to know if anybody in the area owns a Chieftain that they would kindly let me clamber over and drool once again, (I am sure that there are some tankies left that remember the old B.O.T. (Breech Opening Tool) and how we creamed ourselves when they brought out the MK3s with a breech opening handle. Well if anybody would give me back some of my young year memories, I would be a very happy trackhead......

Cheers to all.

John:D

John, I think the infra-red roof probe was the best ! it set off an alarm in the turret to inform the crew that they had been locked on to !! gave you just a few nano seconds to say your goodbyes :D I seem to remember both that probe and the met probe stayed in the stores...always !! :D Happy days !

• 2 weeks later...
I'd love to drive a Chieftain again now after all these years and get more than a mile before it broke down..........lol.

did you ever get the pleasure of a diesel shower ??? when it leaked from the breathers and flooded forward past the turret and waterfalled around the sight into the cab lol..happy days !!! or a spring pack change ! :)

Been there,got the t-shirt and drank the soup.......got the shower from night replen from cans.Loader missing the filler hole and filling the turret ring.There's a knack to up ending cans into the filler holes and some people didn't have it...lol

• 6 months later...

Well it's only about six weeks to Tankfest. Last year nipper and I managed to get a sit inside the turret of a Chieftain (not for long - there was a big queue).

The two gadgies were upset when I commented on how spacious the turret was. Well I was comparing it with my memories of Scorpion. Truth be told, they all seem smaller now than I remember. Or is it me that's grown ... ?