1970-1980's British Army in Northern Ireland

paul connor

As many of you know, I have a Humber Pig.

I am trying to collect as much bits and bobs of Military era related kit.

I have Parachute Regiment covered as my father was in 1PARA.

But i would also like to cover the other standard issue equipment.

DPM? was there just 80...90....95....and soldier 2000? or was there an easlier type? how can i tell what smock and trousers would be 70/80's?

Was the helmet known as a turtle helmet? am i correct?

When was the Flak jacket introduced and is there various types?

Im basically trying to find the standard kit to be taken into the Troubles.....

any help?

Paul,

this do is w/e of 22-24 sept.

An MV get together...........road run to somewhere interesting on the sat, then hogroast, bonfire and fireworks.......................

this event IS NOT advertised, as its nicer to pass by word of mouth, (friendlier,.too)

if you want any more info,.or indeed anyone reading this,.please get in touch.

*please note, away from keyboard from sat 2/sept for a week *

Oh yes,.event based approx 7 miles north of eastbourne in east sussex.

andy

As many of you know, I have a Humber Pig.

I am trying to collect as much bits and bobs of Military era related kit.

I have Parachute Regiment covered as my father was in 1PARA.

But i would also like to cover the other standard issue equipment.

DPM? was there just 80...90....95....and soldier 2000? or was there an easlier type? how can i tell what smock and trousers would be 70/80's?

The first DPM came out about the same time as troops deployed to NI on emergency tours. The earliest pictures of the troubles show troops in Olive Green all over. The first DPM combat jackets were of the same pattern as the last of the OG, with a stitched collar (this is the easiest recognition feature).

By the time I first joined up in early 75, another issue of combat jacket was out. This did not have the stitched collar. I believe this was the first model that was fully lined.

The next model appeared early in 1985. Apart from a double thickness of DPM over the upper back, the 85 pattern was unlined. To this day, I still wear one, though it's getting threadbare. Last month I was able to find an example of this marked as "New". Now I cannot. This model was the first to feature velcro wrist straps instead of buttons.

Whilst searching recently for a new 85 pattern combat jacket, my searches suggest that there was a new model in 94, which looked very like the 85, but the blurb suggested that it had slits to allow access to pockets in clothing underneath the combat jacket. This obviously didn't catch on because the 95 pattern remains current.

Was the helmet known as a turtle helmet? am i correct?

It rings a bell.

When was the Flak jacket introduced and is there various types?

AFAIK the Flak Jacket was worn throughout the troubles. Pretty sure I have seen pictures of troops wearing OG combat jackets and Flak Jackets. I can confirm there were numerous types. They all appeared to be of US origin and I have always imagine they are the same jackets worn in Vietnam. The instructions said to wear them under camouflage clothing, but it was normal (if not SOP) to wear them OVER combats.

Im basically trying to find the standard kit to be taken into the Troubles.....

any help?

There has already been a thread on this subject somewehere on here. Have a look. My only other comment is that my observations suggest that most troops wore DPM Combat Jacket and OG Lightweight Trousers rather than DPM trousers. Far cheaper, more comfortable and better fitting without braces.

• 2 months later...

I realise that I'm joining this a little late, but I have a set of '60 pattern OG kit. The jacket has a stitched collar as you describe and the trousers are lined (and extremely heavy!)

Am at work at the moment, but they were both new and unissued when I got them so should have the labels in place - I can have a look when I get home if you are still interested.

I also have an early type bulletproof vest, it has two chest pockets and does not have the plastic bits on the shoulders that you see in the later pictures. It does contain the label advising you to wear it under your smock, although I have yet to see a picture of anyone wearing it like that!

Have you read 'The British Army in Ulster'? Lots of good pictures - sadly B&W. Again, if still interested I can pass on the details....

Well, it wasn't but as I have only worn it once - make me an offer!

The jacket is described as a 'Smock, Combat - 1960 pattern. Size 6 Reg Large. Height 5'7" to 5'10", Breast 40" to 43" and was made by J. Mandelberg Ltd 1965. Condition - as new.

The Trousers are Trousers, Combat - 1960 pattern. Size 7 Long Small. Height 5'11" Waist 30"-32" and Seat 37"-39" and made by Windsmoor (Macc) Ltd 1963. (Although they have plenty of room for me and I have a 34" waist! They have a pocket on the left leg and a shell dressing pocket on the right front. Condition - as new.

The Body Armour I would describe as well used. It is described as 'Armor Body Fragmentation Protective Vest with 3/4 Collar' size Large. No date that I can see I'm afraid.

Sound like what your looking for? It will be heavy to post!

Incidentally, 'The British Army in Ulster' was written by a chap called David Barzilay and was published by Century books.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you'll find the Mk III helmet, known as 44 Pattern and Turtle had several different liners down the years. It was actually designed for issue in 1941 but the top brass were concerned it was too similar to various foreign types in use. MkIII helmets can be cheap, but this depends on the age of the liner and strap.