CVR(T) Scorpions - Operation Granby

sirhc

Are there any reports of the Strikers using their Swingfires successfully during the Gulf War? If so where can I find them?

I think in Bullet Magnet (Mick Flynn) he talks about at least one Iraqi tank being destroyed by a Striker using Swingfire, although note this was GW2. Its a cracking read, primarily because it features CVRTs in a starring role..

We did but it was 1 Sqn with Scorpions and a few Spartans, 51 cvrt was left behind......NO transport for thier cvrt.....the sad state of the military as it is now

I beleave this happened in the falkland's too, and I'm sure I read somewhere that very few CVRT made it onto the islands.

• 6 months later...
A few 16/5 guys transferd to 9/12L after options for change(not wanting to be tanks) they told an inpressioable young trooper(me) that they only had scimitars in iraq as germany based as they were at the time only had them but the legend i was told was they contacted t62s with 30mm and it was bouncing off luckily 2 scorpians from the qdg used 76mm hesh and drove off leaving the 16/5 emmbarassed as a 76mm gunner 3rd to last intake to fire no traing rounds for us it was live hesh all the way:-D i can atest to its power the old chieftan had a few holes in it from us (we went to have a look at night on range guard when our inst was asleep in the tower at warcop)as i say the gulf tale may be an exageration as we young NIGS got told all that sort of stuff usualy at a smoker:cool2:

The tanks were actually engaged by the RSDG's Challengers not Scorpions. So no embarrassment factor at all. Yes we did engage with 30mm and they did bounce off, but the enemy sight systems were destroyed leaving the tanks useless.

In 1992 we (16/5th) were the last British troops to fire the 76mm prior to deployment to Belize. The 76mm Scorpion was taken out of service not long after due to toxicity problems within the turret.

The Striker I recently sold (after a two year restoration.. 07FF95) to a "Buyer" in Canada was in the first Gulf war.. the new owner has a picture of it firing a Swingfire missile in the Gulf. He has got hold of a selection of photos from the actual Commander of the vehicle !

07FF95 Striker Firing Missile.jpg

Before I sold it I produced this brief video focusing on the Swingfire Missile

Something went wrong...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

Hiya I am restoring a Scorpion CVRT that was used in op Granby, it’s number is 03FD65 it is the one to the far right of your picture call sign 21a , I have several pictures of it in action if they are of interest.

Sadly it’s been parked out in the rain since the 90s and almost everything is going to have to be replaced to get it moving again but at least it’s still in existence. 
I have plenty of pictures if you want them.

Ben 

3 hours ago, Ben Dunstan said:

Hiya I am restoring a Scorpion CVRT that was used in op Granby, it’s number is 03FD65 it is the one to the far right of your picture call sign 21a , I have several pictures of it in action if they are of interest.

Sadly it’s been parked out in the rain since the 90s and almost everything is going to have to be replaced to get it moving again but at least it’s still in existence. 
I have plenty of pictures if you want them.

Ben 

Hi Ben

Yes we want pictures ! 😉

If you start a thread about your Scorpion I am sure the guys and gals on here will be of great help!

A wee intro as well maybe ?

Iain

Same vehicle , call sign 21A with 14th/20th Huzzars recce troop on op Granby 1991 provided by the veterans who were actually there hopefully they don’t mind me sharing. 
The last photo is of a group of them but that’s 21a on the far right with its commander at the back holding the ak47. 

EB9A7339-9F8E-424A-9673-F7593DAE11DE.jpeg

147F0DE7-5B30-4133-8368-C8E48A890695.jpeg

6FDFFEBE-C17A-4915-BBD2-27C7880AC44B.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ben Dunstan said:

That’s as far as I have got with it other than stockpiling parts for the restoration.

Its not going to be easy but it will be worth it, I think 🤔 

11B3D0EF-436E-40E4-9BAE-011EE56606C8.jpeg

0C369E95-1820-4194-B932-F9DA23F83810.jpeg

BF5BF83F-76A2-4D5A-93EE-6216A39798EF.jpeg

B0B8D5B8-7D6F-4E80-947D-AF31B579AC80.jpeg

Ignoring the debris and dirt it does not seem too bad.  A good strip down and clean will make a big difference.  (Easy to say just looking at pictures 😌).

Definitely worth a separate thread !

• Like 1