Petrol in oil...???

keefer1236

Hi all

came to start ferret today.large patch of oil on floor at rear end..investigated....petrol in oil.....sump filled to overful....with petrol oil mix......oil pressure relief valve must have operated..question is is there any way this can happen apart from the fuel pump diaphrams splitting....i replaced the diaphrams 3 months ago with a NOS kit from Bannisters....took pump off today....diaphrams are intact....got me stumped...any ideas how the fuel came to fill the oil tank?

change, or fix fuel pump now....do not run engine til sorted!:nono:

VERY DANGEROUS TO RUN YOUR ENGINE IF THIS HAS HAPPENED .........

sounds like diaphram on pump has perished, they don't last forever on unleaded.....:-|

Understood its only been 3 months but as has been said the diaphram is your best suspect , it may have a pin hole or it may have a split if its flexed carefully you may find the fault . If newer pump kits are not available , then its a roll of the dice how long the next nos kit will last .

Hi all ..thanks for the useful info....sunday i removed the fuel pump..it can be done without removing the tank...only had to remove the nearside battery box and the nearside engine mount...its a tight squeeze but can be done. ( i bin listening to the guys on ferret heaven saying it can only be done by removing the petrol tank!!)..anyway i digress...back to the plot...checked the diaphrams (all three of them).....no splits,tears,pin holes.....good as the day i fitted them(three months approx).I have re read the overhaul manual for the pump...it mentions using a glue(seccotine)on the fibre washer behind the diaphrams to ensure an airtight seal...i didnt do this on rebuild of the pump...could it be my leak is thru the center fixing plunger????......this time i used Blue hylomar to seal the fibre washer and the diaphrams.....didnt use seccotine....a) its ye olde fish based glue b) I didnt have any.

Today i emptyed the oil tank of 15 ltrs oily-petrol...refilled with new oil & filter.....started it up no problems...will keep you posted.

Ps Sunday i also fitted a repacement starter motor....it too can be done with out taking fuel tank out...also didnt need to dismantle exhaust system....just removed oil filter and dip stick tube...enough room to pull starter out.

regards Keith

Ferret MK2/3 03 CC 29

Hi all ..thanks for the useful info....sunday i removed the fuel pump..it can be done without removing the tank...only had to remove the nearside battery box and the nearside engine mount...its a tight squeeze but can be done. ( i bin listening to the guys on ferret heaven saying it can only be done by removing the petrol tank!!)..anyway i digress...back to the plot...checked the diaphrams (all three of them).....no splits,tears,pin holes.....good as the day i fitted them(three months approx).I have re read the overhaul manual for the pump...it mentions using a glue(seccotine)on the fibre washer behind the diaphrams to ensure an airtight seal...i didnt do this on rebuild of the pump...could it be my leak is thru the center fixing plunger????......this time i used Blue hylomar to seal the fibre washer and the diaphrams.....didnt use seccotine....a) its ye olde fish based glue b) I didnt have any.

Today i emptyed the oil tank of 15 ltrs oily-petrol...refilled with new oil & filter.....started it up no problems...will keep you posted.

Ps Sunday i also fitted a repacement starter motor....it too can be done with out taking fuel tank out...also didnt need to dismantle exhaust system....just removed oil filter and dip stick tube...enough room to pull starter out.

regards Keith

Ferret MK2/3 03 CC 29

The worst bit is having to remove the middle engine/gearbox mount that can be a pig to get out. It might be worth doing another oil change before you put it to bed for the year. That way all the contaminated oil will be out of the system.

• 1 year later...

Can I chime in here for a minute.

It may help people in the future having the same issue if this post had been titled as "Ferret Fuel / Oil Problem"

The issue is in searching it may get lost.

This forum is after all a resource for advice for your current problem but also for those who in future years have the same issues as you do.

R

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone

I'm sorry to say that I think my engine oil level is gradually increasing and I (annoyingly) suspect it's from my rebuilt fuel pump. I rebuilt it a couple of years ago using a NOS kit and used the blue hylomar on the afore mentioned washer / diaphragms. It's been ok until now but I can't think of any other cause of the increase in oil level (it's not dramatic but I have removed a litre or so, so far to bring the level down to the max, and it seems to be gradually increasing again)

I know some of you have fitted a electic pump in it's place. Would it be possible to post some photos/details of the modifications done and location of the pump?

Need to decide what to do, risk another rebuild, try another pump, have a pump rebuilt by a professional etc etc, fit an electric..etc etc

Regards

Matt

We are gradually going over to Facet electric pumps on everything as it's the only way to combat diaphragm failure caused by ethanol in petrol. Even supposedly safe viton(?) replacement diaphragms haven't lasted. Electric pumps also address issues of vaporisation again caused by crap modern petrol as well as any problems of fuel run-back. Win-win! (especially as I'm less concerned about originality than I am about actually making it to my destination and home again...)

- MG

An overly rich mixture can cause fuel to wash down your bores, past the pistons and into the sump. This is less likely than the fuel pump being the problem, but it is something to be aware of.

Another potential cause of oil levels rising is water in the oil, usually through condensation. If the oil doesn't smell like it has petrol in it, that can be the culprit, especially if the vehicle isn't driven often.

Cheers,

Terry