Ferret tappet noise?

Lewis Garner

Hi all,

A friend's concerned about a noise from his Ferret, we believe the noise comes from the engine bay. It does it in neutral at a standstill or under load when driving. When one revs the engine, you can hear a rapid clack, much the same as the constant clack from an old worn out Pinto engine.

When the engine speed is held constant or you roll on the throttle slowly, the noise can't be heard, it's only under heavy throttle acceleration. We've checked the security of all mounts and ancillary components so any help or leads would be appreciated?

Regards, Lewis

Has he checked the clearances on the valves if thats what he thinks it is?

One of the rocker arm bushes might have worn causing the clacking noise, whichever way having a look see is his only option even if just to rules one possible cause out.

Edited by ferrettkitt

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Ive taken off the rocker cover and all is well under there. All locking nuts on the adjusters are good and tight and there are no broken springs. The engines performance is spot on with no loss of oil or water and it doesnt smoke. I am taking off the exhaust valve covers at the moment and I guess i will have to check the clearances on everything. The wierd thing is that this noise came on suddenly, it wasnt progressive and it is not getting any worse!

Regards,

Simon. OOEC18

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Ive taken off the rocker cover and all is well under there. All locking nuts on the adjusters are good and tight and there are no broken springs. The engines performance is spot on with no loss of oil or water and it doesnt smoke. I am taking off the exhaust valve covers at the moment and I guess i will have to check the clearances on everything. The wierd thing is that this noise came on suddenly, it wasnt progressive and it is not getting any worse!

Regards,

Simon. OOEC18

Simon,

It sounds like it might be an exhaust blow from a manifold gasket.........or a cracked manifold.

Thanks for that Richard,

I have just soaked all the manifold bolts ready for tomorrow!!

Regards,

Simon

OOEC8

Simon, I wish you the best of luck with the manifold nuts. They are brass and most of mine threaded when they were removed.

Matt

Hi Mat,

You wont believe this, but the nuts came off really easily!!!! In fact four of them were so loose I undid them with my fingers (not good) The puzzling thing is is that two of the gaskets were doubled up for some reason and it looks like these were the two that have been blowing like mad. The manifolds however are in really good condition so once ive cleaned them up I will bolt them back on and maybe use a thin film of heat resistant gasket as well as the proper ones.

The only thing is is that the reason I started this was to investigate a noise that was coming from the right hand side of the engine when the revs are accelarating (not when kept stable) I have already checked the inlet side of things and all seems well there.....HELP

Regards,

Simon

OOEC18

IMG_0478.jpg

IMG_0481.jpg

could it be "pinking" if it only occurs under load maybe the dissy needs adjusting/retarding but i can't think of any fault other than a loose dizzy securing bolt that would have made it advance too much but it's just a thought, why not retard the dissy timing and see if it makes a difference but don't leave it like that as it'll cause the engine to overheat.

it's been 20 years since i dicked about with ferret's so don't put too much store in what i say but it's probably worth a go.

all the best

eddy

Thanks everyone for your help, looks like ive fixed the problem. Some of the maifold bolts were as loose as hell and there was alot of blowing from the manifold as some of the bolts were loose. I replaced the gaskets as they seemed fairly new but coated them in a light film of high temp flexible gasket (the orange stuff). Just fired it up and the noise has gone. I was absolutley convinced it was a more mechanical noise, so I hope it doesnt come back!!

Regards,

Simon

OOEC18