FV432 Road Wheel Removal

andym

Today saw my first attempt at the heavy stuff - changing some of the less happy road wheels. So I fitted the jacking bar and successfully raised an axle. I was rather surprised to see that the road wheels were attached with bolts rather than studs as the Unit Repairs manual had suggested the latter. Anyway, bolts removed and then I discovered the wheels were stuck fast. The outer wheel was removed by diagonal levering between the two wheels, but I couldn't shift the inner wheel at all. There seems to be a pair of tapped holes in the wheel - are they just to insert bolts to break the wheel off the hub, or is there something more complicated involved?

Andy

andy ,

wind to long ish bolts into the holes and then if it is still stuck give alternate belts on left and right side with a big hammer till it moves. should sort it also a bit of wd40 on hub sometimes helps .

be careful of the washers and the wheel rims as they can have quite a sharp edge

Happy hitting

Iain

Thanks Iain - I didn't want to welly it too hard for fear of dislodging the jacking bar. Any idea what the bolt threads are? I didn't have anything suitable to hand and they look a far coarser thread than I'd have expected bearing in mind the thickness of the material and the intended usage.

Andy

andy ,

no idea what thread of the top of my head but its a 3/4 spanner size head .no doudt someone on here has an idea what it is.

to be honest you can belt the wheel with no fear of it coming of the jacking fishtail