GMC grille badge

oscar

A 1941 GMC would have left the factory with a badge, however when the Ordnance dept took over responsibility for vehicles they issued an order that no manufacturers name was to be shown on any vehicle. Offhand I can't remember the date when this took effect, my ref books are not to hand at the moment.

Incidentally as you now have a 'jimmy' you might find the CCKW forum useful, cckw.org.

The owner of the site is a member on here (weasel nut) and the site is a mine of info on the CCKW.

I believe the badge on GMCs stopped appearing roughly mid way through 42, on US government orders. At the same time, the same thing happened to Chevy 1 1/2 tonners, when 'Chevrolet' was no longer allowed to be stamped on the engine side panels, also the badge above the radiator on the Dodge WC series, and makers name stampings on the rear panels of Willys and Ford jeeps. The reason I've heard was that the US government didnt want what amounted to free advertising!

I believe the badge on GMCs stopped appearing roughly mid way through 42, on US government orders. At the same time, the same thing happened to Chevy 1 1/2 tonners, when 'Chevrolet' was no longer allowed to be stamped on the engine side panels, also the badge above the radiator on the Dodge WC series, and makers name stampings on the rear panels of Willys and Ford jeeps. The reason I've heard was that the US government didnt want what amounted to free advertising!

Yes , you're correct on mid 1942, it coincided with Ordnance Dept taking over vehicle responsibilities from Quartermaster Corps.

• 3 weeks later...

The information so far is somewhat correct.

The Army decided in mid 42 that no manufacturers logos should appear on contract vehicles. Up till then jeeps (tailgate), Chevy's (engine side panels), GMC (Brush guard logo) and others had some prominent logos (the Ford script jeep probably being the largest). Some manufacturers complied immediately.. others used up available stock. GMC was most likely the last contractor to comply, finally stopping all brush guard logos in early 43 (as late as April/May).

Spares would still be in supply, and I don't think units were in a rush to add to their workload to remove them.

The statement that after May 43 no GMC rolled of the production line with a logo plate is correct, but if they got a older production guard from supply (doubtful) , or off another, earlier vehicle is the only way you would see it on a post May 43 truck.

I highly doubt that any brush guard with the logo made it over to the ETO via supply. The logistics would put new production parts on the boats first, then whatever extra was available in depots.

But like unpainted wooden steering wheels and right side mirrors, brush guard logo's are something we must tolerate.

I have an original GMC pressed steel logo for sale if you're interested? Unfortunately it's welded to the guard of my just restored 1942 GMC 353 closed cab cargo, with ultra-rare steel composite rear cargo body, so you'll have to buy the truck aswell - £7000 ono. :D:D

I have an original GMC pressed steel logo for sale if you're interested? Unfortunately it's welded to the guard of my just restored 1942 GMC 353 closed cab cargo, with ultra-rare steel composite rear cargo body, so you'll have to buy the truck aswell - £7000 ono. :D:D

By composite do you mean steel with wood floor? If so then I have one too. :-D

This is where I get in trouble by pointing out that its not the correct bed for a 42 if it has a wood floor. You should have the very early, and very rare all steel welded bed as opposed to the late all steel bolted bed). I have not seen many of either.

And I have an even rarer, dare I say uber rare, all steel welded body made post-war in Germany (becoming so rare because everyone has been throwing them away and replacing with wartime-bodies (not that you'd really know)) :-D

I just saw on of those in July at a show. Had the data plate on it and all. Looked OK.

The stamped and bent vs the 'bent wire' loops are a bit of an enigma.. I have a late composte body with wire loops (stencil says its a generic replacement body) and and a 43 wooden body with the stamped steel. Of the two trailers (MBT and Ben Hur) and two bodies (composit and wooden) only the composite was the wire loops.

As I said, the stencil on the composite body indicates its a generic replacement (it references REO, GM and IH in the stencil) and the PN is not a GMC one.

Maybe that is another topic in itself? I do not recall a TM showing anything but the stamped tie downs.

As for the drain holes in the stake pockets, some may have been rudely done, but I've seen some that are very nice and even... would be hard to tell that they were done by hand.

By composite do you mean steel with wood floor? If so then I have one too. :-D

This is where I get in trouble by pointing out that its not the correct bed for a 42 if it has a wood floor. You should have the very early, and very rare all steel welded bed as opposed to the late all steel bolted bed). I have not seen many of either.

It's the late (so not correct for the age of the truck sadly) bolted together steel composite. I've never seen another one and had thought I had a 'botched' rear cargo body until I saw the picture in the Tankograd book. It's not as 'tidy' as the welded bodies as you have bolts everywhere, but it has its dataplate and above all, it's original.

Truck may have sold now anyway - had a couple of people all over it on Sunday at Damyns, one almost got his money out! :shocked: