Has anyone had a bad experiance of late with DVLA? I seem to have had real problems, but according to them this is a one off. However talking to a few other people, it does seem that DVLA are getting very slow etc.

Well I called them the other day, what a farce!!!

I spent 11 minutes 50 seconds on the phone just to get through to a person and ask a question. You go through at least 4 different automated call systems all with half a dozen options.

The woman on the other end of the phone took my details and said she would call me back after speaking to the Policy Department (who only do 8-5pm) the next day. Since then I haven't heard a thing. So I spent money on a 12 minute phone call for absolutely nothing.

Wasters.:box:

Has anyone had a bad experiance of late with DVLA? I seem to have had real problems, but according to them this is a one off. However talking to a few other people, it does seem that DVLA are getting very slow etc.

Official meaning of the phrase "ONE OFF" in Civil Service terms is as follows.

Has it happened to you before?

No.

In that case it is a "one off".

Should you then ask

Has it happened to anybody else?

Yes but only to each person on a single occassion and as such that makes them "one offs"

If it happens to you again you will phone and find out somebody else was dealing with it.

To which tha answer will be

I have not come across this before so it must be a "one off"

But it has happened before!

Not with me sir and I can catergorically state that it is a "one off" occurrance.

Simple when you think about it.

Having a wife who is a civil servant does come in handy at times.

Mike

In my case, I had the tax disc stolen from my 1962 Land Rover FFR. Contacted police, got a crime number, rang DVLA, told fill in form V20 attach V5c and send to local office. As stated on form V20, no payment required, and rang DVLA to ensure this and was told no payment required. Had the whole lot back from Swansea, saying payment required before anything could be done. Rang DVLA, told no payment not required. Sent in again, this time to Swansea as instructed. Got it all back again, as it should have been sent to local office. Rang DVLA again, told no send back to Swansea. Emailed my MP, and told to send back to Swansea with note that MP informed. After 10 days got it all back, with tax disc. Only took 32 days!

This all sounds very familiar, took about four phone calls over the past two days all fighting with the automated robot system to get a real person just to get a V55/5 form sent to me to register the 439.

Even though I knew the forms I needed DVLA's finest still insisted on checking with the supervisor.

"It is a bit of an unusual request sir, can I phone you back?" Roughly translated, I have no idea whats going on or what to do, so I'm going to hang up and let someone else deal with it.

The reply my MP got was, this is a one off problem. I can only say that if you have a problem with DVLA, get your MP to chase them. You can find your MP by going to a site called http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/ Just put your post code in, and it will diecrt you to a page which allows you to send an email to your MP.

The above did get things moving in the end.

This all sounds very familiar, took about four phone calls over the past two days all fighting with the automated robot system to get a real person just to get a V55/5 form sent to me to register the 439.

I tried twice to get a V55/5 posted out but in the end it was much easier to just go down to the local office - they have huge piles of them on free issue. Simples! :nut:

On the bright side I sent my photocard back to have my address updated after I moved house a month or so ago - no problems, it was back in 10 days and still had my cat H on it!

Stone

I was chatting to a driver today who told me his Motorcycle licence had been missed off after he changed his address, but as he didn't notice it for a long time he couldn't do anything about it.

He also told me that another driver a few months ago started to do his driver CPC. He went upstairs and the instructors wanted everyones licence to check them. When they got to this guys licence they said "you can't drive trucks on this licence". When he looked they had missed off his C+E and C categories!!!!:shocked: Apparently he had a medical and sent off for a new licence. Also it was supposed to have been checked by Transport TWICE!! He has since got it back but it took a while to sort out.

How the hell can this happen? Being a driver we have to have a digital drivers card for the tachographs. The argument about the DVLA saying you need to prove you passed your test wouldn't wash when you have a digicard in your possession.

Utterly incompetent and yet somehow entirely unaccountable to the public who pay their wages?

Phoned up the other day to find out where my series one Land Rover V5 had gone as it had been sent to them back in March for a change of revenue weight. Spoke to the same lady I had discussed it with then who admitted that she/they had 'forgotten' to send it back to me...

Got it 2 days later - last week!

Short post. Anyone not had problems with DVLA? Anyone? OH come on ...someone? :yawn:

When i first registerd Sparky, I went to the office in Portsmouth expecting this to be the first of a few trips, i was supprised when after looking at the restoration pictures and checking the chassis number they said "thats fine, here is a 1941 registration goodby":D, i guess this unusual but they actually had somone who did all the vintage vehicles, but this was 9 years ago.

Alan.

I must be lucky -

I have never had an issue with DVLA whether it be log books of driving licences.

The problem may be the issue of photocard licences. It's coming to that time when the first batch sent out need renewing. That is a lot of driving licences to renew at once.

All the changes in regulations can't exactly help either.

I must be lucky -

I have never had an issue with DVLA whether it be log books of driving licences.

The problem may be the issue of photocard licences. It's coming to that time when the first batch sent out need renewing. That is a lot of driving licences to renew at once.

All the changes in regulations can't exactly help either.

That's what I just renewed mate - hence the concern!!

• 3 weeks later...