The extra holes in my wheel rims?

rbrtcrowther

Question

6 answers to this question

The scammell is fitted with ten stud split rims....So why are there 14 holes? there are ten stud holes and 4 larger holes every 90 degrees. what are the 4 extra holes for?:blush:

When fitted to an AEC Matador or Militant, these holes provide clearance for four 1/2" BSF studs and nuts that hold the brake drums to the hubs.

10.00" x20 rims exist without these holes and these are the correct wheel centres for a Scammell, Sorry but you have wheels intended for a militant/ Matador/ O854

An AEC is sensibly designed so you can take off the Brake drums and service the brakes without drawing off the hub. It's because Scammell engineering was not half as good as AEC that you have to take off the hubs to get to the brakes.

This means Scammell studs to affix drum to hub are inside the brakedrum, not external, where any sensible engineer would have put them.

You can't have a go at me cos I own an Explorer!.

Edited by antarmike

The four extra holes are not at 90 degrees. They are at 72 degrees, 108 degrees 180 degrees then 288 degrees. Ie two wheel stud holes apart, then three studs apart etc.

If fitted to the wrong studs on an AEC theDrum studs do not enter the holes, and you will see dimples on the wheel centre where this happens. If you have dimples ai places between wheel stud holes, not only are they AEC wheels, they are AEC wheels that have been incorrectly fitted to an AEC at some time!

Thanks for that Mike. I kind of expected you would know the answer to that one:-) not much you don't know really:D i think you've been playing with old lorrys for too long. The main reason for asking is i have some rims for sale that have two holes gas cut at 180 i assume for a similar reason. And yes the hub design on an explorer is utter pants. Any progress on the "downsizing" to a little Diamond T"

The four extra holes are not at 90 degrees. They are at 72 degrees, 108 degrees 180 degrees then 288 degrees. Ie two wheel stud holes apart, then three studs apart etc.

If fitted to the wrong studs on an AEC theDrum studs do not enter the holes, and you will see dimples on the wheel centre where this happens. If you have dimples ai places between wheel stud holes, not only are they AEC wheels, they are AEC wheels that have been incorrectly fitted to an AEC at some time!

I am almost sure that all wheels were manufactured with the AEC pattern holes after a certain date to make them universal. Blow up this photo of a NZ Explorer and you can see the extra holes, and I don't recollect NZ having AECs.

img052[1].jpg

I am almost sure that all wheels were manufactured with the AEC pattern holes after a certain date to make them universal. Blow up this photo of a NZ Explorer and you can see the extra holes, and I don't recollect NZ having AECs.

I remember going through a whole pile of 14.00x20 bargrips at Vass's finding the best tyre and making sure the valves faced the right way for front and back wheels, and that the bolts on the divided whell would have the nuts facing outwards,

I got four wheels home I was happy with and found one was a Scammell wheel without the extra holes, and I then had to set up and drill them out, Dooh....Thats how I know about the holes!!!