Jeep oil and immerse Jeep in lots of water querys

Great War truck

We went out with the North Oxon and Cotswolds MVT for a 50 mile green lane road run in the Cotswolds and despite all the rain had a brilliant time. 15 vehicles in all, of which 11 were Jeeps. Some of the other drivers commented on that my 44 MB was smoking quite a bit and suggested that it might partly be down to the oil. I use a 20 50 from Tescos at about £3.00 a gallon. It was suggested that i use a straight 40 which costs about £10 a litre. So the question is what oil do you put in yours?

During the road run there were four fords to negate. The water i think was about 18 to 24 inches deep and quite exciting to drive through. What did suprise me was the length of time it took for the brakes to recover. For about 5 miles i had no brakes whatsoever and then for the next 10 the Jeep would randomly and severely pull to the left or the right as i gently touched the brakes. Has had anybody had this sort of problem.

By the time i got home about 3 hours later it was all working fine again, but are there any particular actions that i should take to help offset the imersion in water and potential damage to the brake cylinders. If anybody suggests cuddle the Jeep with a warm towel, well i do that every night anyway.

Tim (too)

We went out with the North Oxon and Cotswolds MVT for a 50 mile green lane road run in the Cotswolds and despite all the rain had a brilliant time. 15 vehicles in all, of which 11 were Jeeps. Some of the other drivers commented on that my 44 MB was smoking quite a bit and suggested that it might partly be down to the oil. I use a 20 50 from Tescos at about £3.00 a gallon. It was suggested that i use a straight 40 which costs about £10 a litre. So the question is what oil do you put in yours?

During the road run there were four fords to negate. The water i think was about 18 to 24 inches deep and quite exciting to drive through. What did suprise me was the length of time it took for the brakes to recover. For about 5 miles i had no brakes whatsoever and then for the next 10 the Jeep would randomly and severely pull to the left or the right as i gently touched the brakes. Has had anybody had this sort of problem.

By the time i got home about 3 hours later it was all working fine again, but are there any particular actions that i should take to help offset the imersion in water and potential damage to the brake cylinders. If anybody suggests cuddle the Jeep with a warm towel, well i do that every night anyway.

Tim (too)

I use 15W40.

I only had those kind of braketroubles in the Ardennes cause of driving through clay-mud.

I rinsed the brakelinings with a watersprayer for indoorplants from our mum, worked!

So the question is what oil do you put in yours?

the best money can buy in all honesty is really is a very false economy to use cheap oil.

Having said that I don't think it should lead to a smoking exhaust, that is more indicative of worn rings and or valve guides

Tim (too)

Yep standard problem when fording with drum brakes, the best way to tackle this is to exit the wade in low gear and let the truck come to a halt on dry ground, stand for a minute to let the water drain from the drums then select first gear and very slowly move off while applying full foot brake keep this up for a hundred yards or so until you feel the brakes bitting, the heat generated drys off the linings which are porous and the drums. As you found out you still need to drive with caution for the next few miles until everything settles down.

Pete

Oil comes down to personal choice but since these old engines were only designed to run on a straight oil rather than a modern multigrade which contains detergents my choice would be Morris Supreme 30. If you want to see a good explanation Google Morris Lubricants. Usual disclaimers. As regards your brakes after going through water the correct procedure is to apply the brakes lightly whilst driving along, full application of the brakes could be dangerous and possibly damaging and don't forget the transmission handbrake will also be affected so don't rely on this until it has dried out, ie if stopped put the vehicle in gear when parking. If you were to Waxoyl your vehicle it would certainly help to preserve it and it is quite inexpensive if a bit of a dirty job.

• 3 years later...

During the 50's when I did my initial driver training in CDN army we were told to lightly apply brakes during fording and use low gear on exit and apply brakes a little harder for about a minute or 2 and all should be right. Seemed to work on most veh. but jeep took longer to dry Don't know why. Oils were 40 summer or 50 if in warmer climate and 10 or 5 winter depending if northern climate such as Churchill. Never liked the jeep. Tires too narrow. Always bogged in mud as tires break through surface too much.

i always run a high grade 20w/50 and have found that on long runs (250 miles in one hit) it will hold much better oil pressure particularly on motorways when the oil is being heated beyond the norm. tried the cheap 20w/50 and would never go near it again, it cant cope with the heat. i have found the best oil is the oil designed for Modern V twin air cooled bike engines, as they don't have a good filtration system just like a jeep so detergents are minimal, but they require a very high quality oil to cope with the power and heat.

as for brakes, yep they are lethal once immersed. i usually drive for a few hundred yard with my foot gently on the brake pedal after to heat them up and dry them quicker.

Baz