Crossley

Brooky

Saw these two beauties at the Border City Steam Fair

To have one Crossley must be good,but to own two!!!!

It is good to see the gantry Crossley again. I first saw it rusting away in a wood in deepest Kent back around 1978, along with a lot of other rare old vehicles. When we went back some months later, it had gone, then I saw it on the HCVS London to Brighton run. I am sure the gantry upper framework was not on it, definitely not on the run anyway, as I have a photo somewhere. It looked odd at the time without the frame.

Saw these two beauties at the Border City Steam Fair

To have one Crossley must be good,but to own two!!!!

Hi Chris ,

Have seen the Blue Crossley a few times before and it is a beauty - It has been a regular attender at the Cumbria Steam Fair at Flookburgh - It usually lands on the back of a low loader complete with a very nice Crossley car as I have been led to believe the owner is a relative of Crossley but may be wrong as you know how these things go

Cheers mate:coffee:

Hi Chris ,

Have seen the Blue Crossley a few times before and it is a beauty - It has been a regular attender at the Cumbria Steam Fair at Flookburgh - It usually lands on the back of a low loader complete with a very nice Crossley car as I have been led to believe the owner is a relative of Crossley but may be wrong as you know how these things go

Cheers mate:coffee:

The owners name is Crossley so who knows

Great looking things, really nice to see proper army lorries :nut:

Yes, he's (John Crossley) the great-grandson of Frank Crossley, one of the two founding brothers of the company - so says an article on him and his fleet (Heritage Commercials, Jan 2006).

The gantry IGL8 lorry is ex-Mike Smith and was rescued by him from a scrapyard in Sissinghurst. Mike took it on the HCVS London-Brighton run in 1985. John has another chassis from the same yard; and also owns the box body IGL8, a more recent acquisition from John Seabury.

The Crossley Register say there is a fourth IGL8 in Britain. Those with long memories may also recall, in Wheels and Tracks #6, the report of there being a Coles crane version in a collection on the outskirts of Wien (Vienna) - if it's still there.

The gantry IGL8 lorry is ex-Mike Smith and was rescued by him from a scrapyard in Sissinghurst. Mike took it on the HCVS London-Brighton run in 1985.
That confirms it is the one I saw in Mutton's yard at Sissinghurst, around 1978 ..and again on the HCVS run.Talking about Coles cranes, I have just remembered seeing an IGL8 Coles crane on the road, Kent/Sussex border around 1975, never to be seen or heard of again.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
A photo from the run and another some time later:

Hi The photo is me driving past Crawley Bus garage in 1986 the second photo i think is at the Ardingly show possible the same year Nice to see the IGL8 again Ilast saw it in Shrewsbury along with J Seabury one about 10 years ago Mike

Did the blue one reside near an industrial just outside Redhill? As I believe I drooled over it one day when visiting a nearby motor factors....

Yes it did for some time. After i restored it passed through several ownerships and while in Redhill it was owned by Alf Barnum or at least i think that was his name . Mike

Hi The photo is me driving past Crawley Bus garage in 1986 the second photo i think is at the Ardingly show possible the same year Nice to see the IGL8 again Ilast saw it in Shrewsbury along with J Seabury one about 10 years ago Mike

A bit academic, but I think in the first photo you were at Redhill just before the drag up the hill, clearly getting some speed up! Glad you liked seeing them.

The Crossley Register say there is a fourth IGL8 in Britain. Those with long memories may also recall, in Wheels and Tracks #6, the report of there being a Coles crane version in a collection on the outskirts of Wien (Vienna) - if it's still there.

That would be Robert Gill's collection - check his website www.militarymuseum.at to see if it's still there.

A bit academic, but I think in the first photo you were at Redhill just before the drag up the hill, clearly getting some speed up! Glad you liked seeing them.

Hi you are right .It was along time ago, memory is not as good as it used to be. I also own a IGL 3 which is probably not recorded any where as it has been with me since 1985 and arrived as a complete basket case.When i have some time i will post some photos .i also have a large amount of spares. mike