Churchill gate guardian Castlemartin

antar

Very much looking forward to watching the restoration of her !

....hey she may be in a bit of a mess but at least she appears to be more or less complete and she hasn't had a battering at the 'wrong' end of a range either :D....unlike a lot of 'restoration' projects we see on here..fair play for your endeavours to save her !:laugh:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very much looking forward to watching the restoration of her !

....hey she may be in a bit of a mess but at least she appears to be more or less complete and she hasn't had a battering at the 'wrong' end of a range either :D....unlike a lot of 'restoration' projects we see on here..fair play for your endeavours to save her !:laugh:

Yes she all there tin works gone tracks dont move engine is there gear box complete with a bit of oil and she will be running ! Funny there is still oil in the gear box which we have sent a sample away for testing to see whats in there hopefull more oil than water. John is planning to have a good look at the engine and get the tracks moving after the show season is over a winter project aiming for 2014 for up and running we hope !

We will keep posting updates but this week its W&P John will post the plan on his return. I am at present laied up with a badly broken ankle so not much help at present and unable to make W&P this year :(:-(.

Al

There is a cheify and a leo gate guards at castle martian camp at present may its the same one it looks tidyAl
Al, sorry to hear about your ankle. Hope you get well soon.On my last visit to Castlemartin I was tasked with welding up the hatches on Leo due to the drunken sods rolling out of the bar and looking for some where to sleep!!! Seriously why they couldnt make it the other 100 meters or so for their own bed is beyond me.I note that your from Kiddy Al, I myself hover around Stourport but true home is Upper Arley. Might have to catch up sometime especially if you need a hand with any tank work.

Right, briefly I am back in contact!! Back from Beltring and at work: my home computer will not let me reply to posts (the dialogue box appears for a half second then vanishes - any ideas???) but the work computer does not allow me to send photos!!

The ID plate is now in my posssession!!! I will get Big Al to post picture of handover, once I send him a copy from my home computer.

At Beltring, I came across a Churchill turret traverse electrical control box, NOS. I asked the price, to be asked "What, got a Churchill have you?" Just this once I missed out the details about actual ownership remaining with Bovington and answered "Well yes, I have" That felt SO good!

Comment from above: I can't post pics but i can strip tanks? Ah well, tanks come with instruction books but bl**dy computers don't!

Also, someone above is interested in helping Big Al to fix this Churchill? He will get a PM but it occured to me does anyone else want to help? As they say, I could use a few good men (or women of course) Conditions appalling, poor tools, no pay, no expences, long hours?? Probably 1000 hrs of hard graft per hour of crewing and 100 hrs of crewing per drive? Churchill is a few miles from M6 Junction 10, PM me if you can give say a day a fortnight at least. Skills not necessary, just enthusiasm and willingness to achieve the impossible with neither budget nor equipment!

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would update with what little progress has happened with the Castlemartin Churchill that Bovington have lent to me for restoration.!

All hatches now open, including even the hull side doors. They now swing open with fingertips. One whack each, cracked the 20 layers of paint and Mr Vauxhall's original grease still there!

Still only under a sheet as we have yet to finish building the shed around it but even a tarpaulin is better protection than before.

I am starting to try and gather spares: have purchased some items from a collector, left over from a previous restoration and have a trip booked onto the impact area at Castlemartin looking for remains from the other Churchills that went there in the 1950's and were not so lucky as the one I have got. I am also trying to gain access to other ranges that I know had Churchills in the 1980's but I am really about 25 years too late. Surprising how good heavy body panels can be mind you if there is a lot of peat in the soil.

As mentioned above, very grateful for the brass ID plate that I was given at Beltring.

A couple of volunteers have come forwards to help with the job.

I am looking forwards to making a proper start in the autumn!

• 4 weeks later...

Just a brief update:

Eddy8men, his mate that I can't remember the forum name of and I went to Castlemartin to look for spares for the Churchill at what was left of a target. We arrived at 4 am, got up at 6 am and Eddy8men got home about 11pm so it was a tiring day. We had some success but weather was bl++dy awful again. Man on the gate said that it was a lovely part of the world when it does not rain. How often is that says I? Don't know he says, only been here about 8 years.

The above is a lie in fact but it felt like it was true: I have never seen it apart from under a heavy downpour!

On the range I found a Valentine or Covenator bridge section still in daily use on one track where it went over a stream!

We have a big "pull" organised for Saturday, hoping to finally get the plastic "canvas" roof on the building over the Churchill but we will need to put a bulge in it at one end as the Churchill is not quite inside!

More bolts have come undone, not all but the vast majority!

I am still trying to get onto any range with Churchill targets, initially for a photo recce. I am not short of much (well not short of much that is likely to still be there anyway) but suspension springs, gearbox covers and patterns for seats would be nice as would a spare engine or two and I will attempt to make one runner from several. A 75mm breech would be an unlikely prize!

Big Al is on the mend and I have one new helper Scott plus no 1 son Colin and numbers 1 and 2 grandsons Jack and Alex are all keen to help but one or two more would be welcome (but see above for the poor conditions attached to this opportunity!!!)

if it ain't raining, it ain't training :)

to be honest it wouldn't bother me if it was raining fire and brimstone nothing would get in the way of me if there was a chance of getting stuck into a range churchill, although to be fair there were only large chunks of tank ! of which the gearbox was the heaviest but beggars can't be choosers and it was definately worth the effort. all in all a great day and i look forward to the next.

rick

ps. the other guy was andy ferretkit

• 3 months later...

Thanks to John and Colin for a detailed tour of the Churchill while looking at some parts for the Loyd, a great project, possibly one of the last British 1940s armour restoration projects to be so complete, even webbing and leather parts remain usable. Let's hope 2013 is a better year for all concerned, thanks again guys.

With Mr Pearson inside filling his pockets. I now have to put it all back on!

Please publish any other pics Bob you have of that trip and do you have a record of the date?

Thats the day I "BORROWED" the chassis plate which is now back in its rightfull place.

that grundy fella has got a lot to answer for when it comes to your tank john, i'll have words when i see him next :D

I am contractually bound to point out it is not my tank but it is on long term loan from the Tank Museum. There is absolutely no way I could afford to own it if I had been required to pay for it so I have no qualms at all in pointing out who actually owns it! I can just about afford the labour (free!!) and some bits to do it up but outright purchase, no chance! Still Bobs fault though!

Now if only I could track down the bloke that had the gun recoil shield. Oh hang on, that was me! Thought it would be the same as the Valentine but it wasn't so it stayed on the shelf until the Churchill came to Wolverhampton to join them 20+ years later!