I have been informed that these are 68ptn. windproof trousers as used by the S.A.S.

Can anyone confirm this before I exhibit them in my display at events. The waist straps pass over each other and fasten with a buckle towards the side/back of the waist belt.

Thanks for any info.

Andy.

2010-05-14 S.A.S. Windproofs.jpg

They certainly look like them - the weave is very close almost silk to the touch and they rip easy -what does the label say - the ones issued to SAS had trousers windproof (same as smock windproof) and a set of sizes and a NSN number with the second lot as xxxx 99 xxx xxxx (as all army has)

The pockets were big buttoned but also seen them with normal sized green buttons. The other types were issued to RM and even RAF cold weather etc. The fine/close weave is distinctly different from the DPM jackets etc of that time. Some of the trousers had draw cords at bottom of legs others were plain.

Normal 68 pattern DPM trousers also were lined and quite heavy -especially when wet. some had reinforced seat and around the knee areas and a shell dressing pocket on front right hand side

Gary

Edited by gazzaw

• 1 year later...
Hi, these were never called '69 pattern anything. They were issued to SAS (TA & Regs). The buttons on the fly are correct size and the leg pocket ones were combat jacket size and not Arctic windy size.

They were not brilliant to use as they were too windproof for hot weather and needed something under them for cold weather and were about as durable as toilet paper !

Cheers,

Dave

These are indeed the correct "SAS" pattern windproof trousers. They were introduced during 1974-75 along with the smock and remained in production until (incredibly) the early 2000's........The arctic windproof trousers (and smock) appeared a couple of years after this around 1976-77 and whilst the smock is similar to the "SAS" version the trousers bear little similarity........a glut of surplus NOS SAS-pattern DPM windproof trousers were on the market until recently in large waist sizes too ! (36")....all late production, I bought around 5 pairs....you CAN still find them in some dealers stocks today....

Hi

First Question: Do they have a Size size or NATO size

If the latter then NO they are not '68 pattern or Mark 1 windproofs they are the '84 pattern or Mark 2.

The trousers are exactly the same cut as the Mark 1 and untill these came available on ebay I did not know that they existed. What does the label actualy say?

they are made of a different material than the Mark 1 windproofs. Mark 1 squash up very tightly where as the Mark 2's sort of scrunch up..if you get my drift.

The give away is the strong green and brown.

Ta

Jon

Edited by Panzer nut

Hi

First Question: Do they have a Size size or NATO size

If the latter then NO they are not '68 pattern or Mark 1 windproofs they are the '84 pattern or Mark 2.

The trousers are exactly the same cut as the Mark 1 and untill these came available on ebay I did not know that they existed. What does the label actualy say?

they are made of a different material than the Mark 1 windproofs. Mark 1 squash up very tightly where as the Mark 2's sort of scrunch up..if you get my drift.

The give away is the strong green and brown.

Ta

Jon

Quite correct Jon....70s issue are in numbered sizes whereas 1980s onwards issue are metric sizing......there are some variations in the fabric but overall it is the same high-quality cotton windproof gaberdine...the variations depending largely on manufacturer and age....

Below are comparisons between the mark 1 windproof and the Mark 2 trousers.

On the left are the '84 pat or Mk2 and on the right are the '68 pat or Mk1 labels. The other difference is that the inside of the material differs. On the Mk1 can be seen the DPM pattern where as on the Mk2 you can see the reverse is white, as per the '84 pat combats.

Above are the Mk2 and Mk1. On the Mk2 (Left) you can see how vibrant the colours are compared to the Mk1's.

Ta

Jon

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

Edited by Panzer nut

These trousers are still available for issue - they appear in JSP768 Operational Clothing Catalogue as TROUSERS, COMBAT Woodland DPM,Windproof.NSNs 8415-99138-0797 to 0809 SAS Only with the additional information "Not for general issue - Special Forces only".

According to the Specification these trousers are made from a woodland DP cotton gaberdine fabric, designed for wear with Smock ,Combat, Windproof, Woodland DP to Specification DC/MS/4431. The size schedule provides for twelve sizes and an outsize.

Both the DPM trousers and DPM smock are being replaced by Multi Terrain Pattern versions, so perpetuating a 30 year or so design.