This trailer made from a lorry chassis?

:-)Hi, can anyone identify this trailer, purpose built no plates on it, said to have been used at Blackburn Dumbarton aircraft factory during WW2. Length 13' 6" x 7' 0" wide 4- 7-50 x 16 wheels. I think the chassis is cut short and is inverted, (possibly a truck chassis). Has anyone any ideas?

PHOT0013..jpg

PHOT0010..jpg

PHOT0011..jpg

PHOT0014..jpg

PHOT0012..jpg

:-)Hi, can anyone identify this trailer, purpose built no plates on it, said to have been used at Blackburn Dumbarton aircraft factory during WW2. Length 13' 6" x 7' 0" wide 4- 7-50 x 16 wheels. I think the chassis is cut short and is inverted, (possibly a truck chassis). Has anyone any ideas?

Well at least there is a skip handy to drop it into!

The Rails look Bedford, as do the axles

The wheels look 1960s Dodge/Commer

The Drawbar looks like one of the universal variations-on-a-theme, type fitted to many commercial plant trailors/generators/compressors of the time.

The supports are Acro-Jacks sliced and grafted on.

Looks very much like a home-made boat trailor to me!

The Drawbar looks like one of the universal variations-on-a-theme, type fitted to many commercial plant trailors/generators/compressors of the time.

And the back axle is a front (steering) axle with the Ackerman steering locked of by welding the drag link to a solid point rather than attaching it to the steering drop arm. Totally made up out of bits and pieces, never a genuine trailer...( use the scrap bin provided....)

No suspension either so chassis twist only, if it was used over uneven surface. more likely something used for a specific purpose within a factory perhaps. Cross member at back end does look like a Bedford front member where the front engine mount is, thinking O-type and similar models.

:-)

Thanks Rangie for your contribution, along with the other five who were kind enough to have a go at identification. I know it was cobbled up for a purpose, and incidently its last job was to carry a wooden boat to the scrapyard. We have this trailer alongside a replica Empire Class C flying boat unit, and the trailer could be used after restoration to handle the unit around the workshop. Thanks once again Rangie for your help it is much apreciated. Navytrailer.