Ferret belt wrestling

pigdog

After wrestling the ferret fan belts I finally got them off. Now the problem is how do I get the new ones on? I'm not sure if the ones that I bought are the correct size cuz they have NO slack to get them over the pullys. I have the generator adjusted all the way in, so I have no more slack I can add.

Any tips?

Thanks-Chris

120-2081_IMG..JPG

120-2084_IMG..JPG

After wrestling the ferret fan belts I finally got them off. Now the problem is how do I get the new ones on? I'm not sure if the ones that I bought are the correct size cuz they have NO slack to get them over the pullys. I have the generator adjusted all the way in, so I have no more slack I can add.

Any tips?

Thanks-Chris

Hi Chris,

I cannot be sure if the new belts you have are correct size, but rest assured, the correct belts are very tight to fit over the pulleys with the generator slackened right off. The best way is to have a helper with you, to use the starting handle to wind the engine over as you prise each belt over the pulleys. Fit the first belt over the outer pulley groove and once on all three pulleys, then move it over one, then repaet with second belt.

Watch you fingers !

Richard,

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out. Its my first ever fan belt change, so what might be obvious to most people on here are very helpful instructions to me. I will have another go today at wrestling the new belts on. I will watch out for my fingers, but its my toes that need to worry. I learned yesterday-

Heavy objects + gravity + wearing flip flops dont mix :red:

-Chris

Ok, this is as far as Ive gotten with 1 belt. I cant believe what a pain this is. The belt is an Optibelt VB S=C plus 22x1250 C49. Its doc's says its about 51" long. I some how think I need a longer size.

120-2086_IMG..JPG

Ok, this is as far as Ive gotten with 1 belt. I cant believe what a pain this is. The belt is an Optibelt VB S=C plus 22x1250 C49. Its doc's says its about 51" long. I some how think I need a longer size.

Having got it that far, I would say your belt is about the same as the RR issued belts. You need a bigger screwdriver ! With someone on the starting handle, use a pry bar or similar on the exhaust side of crank pulley, to influence the belt in to the 2nd groove, once there, you will then go to the dynamo pulley where belt comes up form below and find a way of forcing it towards the engine, the belt may roll on its back (ie twist), no problem because a few turns on the handle and it will right itself.

THEY"RE ON!!

Thanks again for the advice. It really helped to do the top pulley then the crank, last the generator. Also I kept the screwdriver in between the belt and pulley overnight which helped stretch it a bit. Boy what a job. Alot of bruises and sore fingers.

Plus I increased my expletive vocabulary considerably :D

-Chris