What is too many toys

paulob1

Here is my thought on this.

I if you have enough space then fill it, ...no bad news...

if you have enough money spend it...no bad news unless you have enough money to hire the team to keep them running

i have pushed my cash flow to the limit and think I am about done for this year.

I cant put much more time into them and the boys I use Ringmotors, are very very good but the amount of work they have to do is massive, they will be working for me for the next 5 years I reckon.

The real limiting factor is how much time and money you have to spend on them keeping them up and running...if fixing them is your joy then great, but if playing with them is your joy then you have to be very careful to not go too far...I think I have reached that point so its time to stop...just got to stop reading the for sale adds...

I’m up to 22 toys at present and it really must be down sized. It’s all down to the resource you have available, time, money, shed space, etc.

One toy and 100% can be allocated to it, two and its 50/50%. With 22 toys that’s 4.5% each; probably not even enough to service them correctly.

I know the above doesn’t quite work out, for example my Militant which is show ready doesn’t take up as much resource as my S24 that’s next in the workshop for restoration, but that means others are getting far less than 4.5%.

Another potential problem is too much of a good thing; you just don’t get the same buzz. I think I enjoyed MV’s far more with just one vehicle, about one show per month in the show season and a bit of maintenance / improvements in between. It’s very easy to eat sleep and breathe MV’s or any other hobby, it’s not good for you. It’s like a disease, it creeps up on you without you noticing and before you know it, you have lost the enjoyment of your hobby.

I got to that stage last year and couldn’t even face getting ready for a show, so I bought an old GPZ900 and had a bit of a welcome diversion, amongst other things, but we won't go there.

I know my collection has to be reduced and I know I will enjoy my hobby more if I do, problem is choosing which ones go and realising you can’t buy all the bargains.

Which is why I am posting on an internet form at quarter to two in the morning and drove 1,100 miles yesterday to John O’Groats to finalise the deal on a 70 Ton Crane Fruehauf Semi-trailer to go behind the S24?

As I said, it’s a disease. :nut:

Edited by Grumpy

I’m up to 22 toys at present and it really must be down sized. It’s all down to the resource you have available, time, money, shed space, etc.

One toy and 100% can be allocated to it, two and its 50/50%. With 22 toys that’s 4.5% each; probably not even enough to service them correctly.

I know the above doesn’t quite work out, for example my Militant which is show ready doesn’t take up as much resource as my S24 that’s next in the workshop for restoration, but that means others are getting far less than 4.5%.

Another potential problem is too much of a good thing; you just don’t get the same buzz. I think I enjoyed MV’s far more with just one vehicle, about one show per month in the show season and a bit of maintenance / improvements in between. It’s very easy to eat sleep and breathe MV’s or any other hobby, it’s not good for you. It’s like a disease, it creeps up on you without you noticing and before you know it, you have lost the enjoyment of your hobby.

I got to that stage last year and couldn’t even face getting ready for a show, so I bought an old GPZ900 and had a bit of a welcome diversion, amongst other things, but we won't go there.

I know my collection has to be reduced and I know I will enjoy my hobby more if I do, problem is choosing which ones go and realising you can’t buy all the bargains.

Which is why I am posting on an internet form at quarter to two in the morning and drove 1,100 miles yesterday to John O’Groats to finalise the deal on a 70 Ton Crane Fruehauf Semi-trailer to go behind the S24?

As I said, it’s a disease. :nut:

Ahh, the GPZ900 - Tom Cruises finest moment ! Know what you mean old chap - I have a ZXR750 hanging around in the garage and I'm starting to get a hankering to do something with it again, just for a change...

C'mon Grumpy don't be modest give us a rundown of the collection please...