Canadian Ferrets Home pictures

robin craig

will be fun to get into those, interesting differences

Those front indicator lights are they a Canadian mod? Seen them fitted to lots of US type vehicles.

Curious as I saw the UK MOD type over here

hmmm edit just saw this piccy... so Canadian fit :D

[ATTACH]25526[/ATTACH]

Edited by fesm_ndt

Call sign 31, the one on the left is actually pretty complete and will run from a gas can and a couple of batteries, which i will try to do maybe this weekend.

The other has the complete pack and a large number of parts but missing some odds and sods.

There are 3 crates of lose parts that I have not shown, i have been through them all and I have a mental note of some of the missing items. I had the seller remove the smoke grenade launcher tubes and pack them loose.

Robin

Mike, yes those lights are what we call M series lights and were a Canadian modification, as were several other details, like the bars over top of the oil cooler to stop ham fisted galloots stepping on them and the gas cans mounted on the rear vertical armour to name but a few.

Robin

Interesting pic of the tac sign. The one marked 2 bears a C Squadron circle containing the number 4. Under the marking system in use during the Ferret years, this ought to be callsign 34, troop leader of 4 Tp C Sqn. The other Ferrets in the troop would be 34A (troop sergeant), 34B (troop corporal) and 34C (troop second corporal - like as not a lance corporal). My understanding is that under this system the Alpha, Bravo and Charlie suffixes would have been outside the squadron symbol on the right-hand side.

As I have said elsewhere (today) in our regiment, we did not paint callsigns direct onto the vehicle, because if the troop leader's vehicle was shot from under him and as was the norm he commandeered the troop second corporal's vehicle (34C), the tac sign would now be wrong. Under our system, undo a couple of wingnuts, swap the signs painted onto metal sheets, exchange commanders' webbing and you were off.

I hasten to point out that we did paint squadron tac signs direct onto the vehicle. Because we had the squadron sign on the turret front sides, the callsign at the back simply comprised, for example 24A in figures maybe 18" high.

Edited by AlienFTM
added a bit

Mike, yes those lights are what we call M series lights and were a Canadian modification, as were several other details, like the bars over top of the oil cooler to stop ham fisted galloots stepping on them and the gas cans mounted on the rear vertical armour to name but a few.

Robin

I forgot to ask about the jerry can holders. They are again a fairly standard jeep items, or I guess fitted to lots of other things (I seen them here on the Asia Motor Jeeps, well look very similar).

good to see some pieces as makes me think about the junkyard. I can't recall seeing an oil cooler (for some reason that nags me)

So when you flying over here with an empty suitcase?

Edited by fesm_ndt

Alien FTM,

Sir, you are missing the point, you are looking at a Canadian Ferret and such it has different markings to what you are used to seeing. The number 4 in the cirlce is actually the bridge classification done Canadian style not a call sign.

It's call sign is actually on the vehicle's right side and I shall take a close up of it and post some day.

Mike, re empty suitcase, I would love to buy tons of that stuff but just cant without seeing pictures or being there in person.

Robin

Mike, re empty suitcase, I would love to buy tons of that stuff but just cant without seeing pictures or being there in person.

Robin

Thats what I was saying come over for a flight. I'll take you for a tour. No mad rush anyway as I'm going away for a minimum if 6 weeks and having had your new toys just arrive you will be tinkering with them for the ensuing time being.

P.S. I quite like the cam pattern on the few I found on the net yesterday.

Alien FTM,

Sir, you are missing the point, you are looking at a Canadian Ferret and such it has different markings to what you are used to seeing. The number 4 in the cirlce is actually the bridge classification done Canadian style not a call sign.

It's call sign is actually on the vehicle's right side and I shall take a close up of it and post some day.

Robin

I stand corrected. But I must express my surprise since I cannot imagine why as a member of NATO Canada does not use NATO standard bridge classification plates and why as a member of the commonwealth it uses commonwealth tac signs that look like tac signs.

Point taken.

• 4 months later...

I have finally had some time to go through my camera and now am posting some pictures of how the vehicles came back from the USA. This is the moment they entered Canada at the Sarnia boder crossing and the first time I saw them in theflesh although not up close as they went for Xray inspection.

various MV 051.jpg

various MV 053.jpg

Here is the cross decking on the mainland before I trucked them back to the island where I work on two of our work trailers behind my company truck. We used the tractor with pallet forks to do the motive power bit and pull them off the highway trailer onto ours, then the boxes came off with the forks.

The last picture shows one of the two waiting for the cable ferry to the island.

R

various MV 057.jpg

various MV 056.jpg

various MV 054.jpg

various MV 061.jpg

• 7 months later...

A bit of an update on an old thread.

Its been over a year since we bought these two. Last year was a busy year with many changes. The biggest is that my partner and I have bought land and will be building a house, starting this year.

As a result cash is king now.

The plain green Ferret marked "1" in the pictures with the goofy turret was going to be purchased by my best mate but that fell through. It has since Christmas been the subject of protracted negotiations with a third party. The net result is that in due time it is being swapped for a running Mk1 432, which in turn I have a buyer for.

The second unit is confirmed as having served with the Stathconas, a Canadian armoured regiment.

This Ferret was also possibly part of the deal with the third party but they could not muster an acceptable trade so I am keeping it, for the moment. I have been in limbo while all this dealing has been dragging on. Not wanting to do anything during the cold of winter if I didnt have to and now spring has arrived why do anything if it was going to be traded.

I will now be ordering spares for it from the UK and getting on with a refurb with a view to having it up and running in the next little while with a view to selling it. It would be nice to keep it but we need a house and toys are toys. Getting it running will also add value to it and make it easier to sell. I have a possible buyer at the moment and he will need the work done anyway so there is no point dragging ones heels anymore.

Just thought I would update everyone.

Robin