Can you identify this Ferret?

robin craig

I now have both Ferrets back from the USA as some may have seen posted previously.

I am now tring to decipher what the history of both vehicles and in doing so I am running into some problems.

According to Colin Stevens recently published book on the subject, ALL Canadian Mk1 Ferrets had square side hatches.

Well Gents, my c/s 31 doesnt, it has the sloped ones which everyone is saying means it is a wannabe.

Well, au contraire I say as it is still in full Canadian markings with so many country specific modifications I am having trouble believing that it isnt Canadian.

I have the hull number which is 467. B. 8. 4.

Curiously above the 8 and the 4 in a smaller stamp is the number 5

Directly above the 8 towards to top of the plate is "broad arrow" mark.

Before anyone says it, yes I am in direct contact with Colin and am awaiting his opinion.

What say any of you then?

Robin

I now have both Ferrets back from the USA as some may have seen posted previously.

I am now tring to decipher what the history of both vehicles and in doing so I am running into some problems.

According to Colin Stevens recently published book on the subject, ALL Canadian Mk1 Ferrets had square side hatches.

Well Gents, my c/s 31 doesnt, it has the sloped ones which everyone is saying means it is a wannabe.

Well, au contraire I say as it is still in full Canadian markings with so many country specific modifications I am having trouble believing that it isnt Canadian.

I have the hull number which is 467. B. 8. 4.

Curiously above the 8 and the 4 in a smaller stamp is the number 5

Directly above the 8 towards to top of the plate is "broad arrow" mark.

Before anyone says it, yes I am in direct contact with Colin and am awaiting his opinion.

What say any of you then?

Robin

The British Army registration would be or should be 37BA41.

Have a look in Pat Wares book on page 55 and see what shape the front side hatches r of 37BA24 (I can't find my book at the moment). Australian army registrations are not in order. Info from the old Ferret Scout Car site. 37BA47 has sloping side hatches. When did it change from square side hatches to sloped?

37BA30 Hull No 456, Mark 1, Transferred to the Australian Army and re-registered as 115163

37BA31 Hull No 457

37BA32 Hull No 458, Mark 1, Transferred to the Australian Army and re-registered as 115193

37BA33 Hull No 459, Mark 1, Transferred to the Australian Army and re-registered as 115192

37BA34 Hull No 460

37BA35 Hull No 461, Mark 1, Transferred to the Australian Army and re-registered as 115180

37BA36 Hull No 462, Mark 1, Transferred to the Australian Army and re-registered as 115177

37BA37 Hull No 463, Mark 1, Transferred to the Australian Army and re-registered as 115181

37BA38 Hull No 464, Mark 1, Transferred to the Australian Army and re-registered as 115178

37BA39 Hull No 465, Mark 1, Transferred to the Australian Army and re-registered as 115183

37BA40 Hull No 466, Mark 1, Transferred to the Australian Army and re-registered as 115179

37BA41 Hull No 467

37BA42 Hull No 468

37BA43 Hull No 469

37BA44 Hull No 470, Mark 1, Transferred to the Australian Army and re-registered as 115182

37BA45 Hull No 471, Mark 1, Transferred to the Australian Army and re-registered as 115138

37BA46 Hull No 472, Mark 1, Transferred to the Australian Army and re-registered as 115184

37BA47 Hull No 473, Mark 1, Transferred to the Australian Army and re-registered as 115185

The second Ferret I will delve into more on Saturday.

Daylight hours are at a premium for work work at the moment.

We plan to yank the paintball turret off this saturday and set that aside.

Only then will I get inside and find out what the actual hull number is.

Based on the other Ferret, the hull number previously reported on this one may not be right either.

Oh well, I can retroactively sort out the documentation as required thankfully.

I am just happy to have them on concrete under a roof within arms reach even if I cant start spining spanners at the moment.

R