Test/registration requirements for imported vehicle under 3.5T

I'm contemplating buying a Robur LO2002 in Germany and bringing it to the UK. I've spoken to SVTech and downplating it should not be a problem (they weigh app. 3T empty). What should I register it as and what will the test requirements be. Is it still considered a HGV even if it is downplated to 3.5T GVW? Would it need any sort of modification? I know some Robur in the UK are registered as agricultural vehicles and are considered tax and test exempt. How do they get away with that? Sorry if I'm asking questions that may have obvious answers for most people but as an immigrant I'm still quite confused about the UK rules and regs and how they seem to get bent a fair bit.

Neil mate if you ever work them out. Let the rest of us know. Eastblock, go and have a chat with the local HGV garage, they deal with regulations all day. The agricultural loophole has been squezzed latley. Officially it always has tied you up, distance you can travel etc. But a lot of blind eyes were turned.

At 3.5t you can drive it on a normal car licence so it won't be an HGV. There are a wide range of categories to choose from depending on what it looks like - beware the difference between tax categories and registration categories as they're slightly different things. It may be easiest to describe and tax it as a Light Goods Vehicle.

Also beware in an LGV you're limited to 60mph on motorways, it's caught the unwary before...

Stone

Also beware in an LGV you're limited to 60mph on motorways, it's caught the unwary before...

That will NEVER be an issue :-D Top speed is 54mph. My Praga (pre-1960 HGV) has a top speed of 38mph!

I think getting it tested could be an issue as a Robur is quite tall.

That will NEVER be an issue :-D Top speed is 54mph. My Praga (pre-1960 HGV) has a top speed of 38mph!

I think getting it tested could be an issue as a Robur is quite tall.

Not nessacarily, my 101 was 9 foot 6 inch to the top of the beacon, find an understanding test place with a high door.Depending on body type, a Campeing vehicle might be the way to go.There are MOT class regulations that may help you avoid haveing to have a HGV plate.

Unfortunately adding a box in the back might push the weight over 3.5T and then I wouldn't be allowed to drive it.

I find it a bit wierd that I can drive my 6ton Praga just because it is built prior to 1960. They were built without any changes for almost 30 years.