Interwar photo of AA truck identification.

79x100

Its always amazed me the size of the guns they mounted on those trucks , one would think the weight would have bent or broken the chassis fairly quickly let alone the high center of gravity when moving over the rough roads of the day , why they never used a three axle system ? was it cost only or engineering complexity ? The rear most axle need not have been powered .

Uniform is unfortunately not much of an indicator - it changed very little from WW1 up until 1937, the webbing stayed the same, and aside from minor modifications (the jacket and perhaps trousers were tighter fitting with the 1922 pattern service dress, and the peak of the cap was slightly bigger with the 22 pattern SD cap) looked pretty much identical to WW1 soldiers. That said, by the general 'look' of the lorry, it seems to be rather glossy and very highly maintained (and VERY clean, ie no extra camouflage netting, petrol cans strewn about), so i'd plump for 1920's too

I'm not sure of the exact date. The usual un-captioned loose collection that gets handed down.

The photo seems to be at the location as these two (which I thought I'd posted here before but maybe they were lost in the big crash ?)

KRRC.jpg

KRRC2.jpg

These show one of my Dad's older brothers. He was an inter-war regular with the KRRC and was just finishing his time in the reserves when war broke out. He went to Calais in May 1940 and spent the war in a prison camp.

My guess from his age is that the pictures show a Territorial camp / training exercise sometime in the mid-1930s.

The line of hills suggests Wiltshire downs to me.

Fantastic pictures of real life soldiering of that time. They are Box Brownie pix and it will be great if someone can give more info. I've seen a lot of images of chaps with these white hand bands marked as the old Militia which was still about in some form or another within the TA umbrella and I know zip about it. My late Dad was Royal Berkshire Regt TA from the spring of 1939 and his company photo shows the majority wearing 1937 BD with forage caps, but a few still in 1908/1914/1920 pattern kit. Pix to treasure,

MB