Looking for Ford V8 Flat head

Chris Aldous

Hi all

I friend of mine has asked me to look out for something at Beltring.

He needs a 1939-40ish Ford V8 Flat Head Engine...24 Stud with cast iron bell housing.

He has been lead to believe that these engines were used in some sort of Military Vehicle, not sure if British or US...and could also have been used post war by the French....but maybe in Wartime vehicles

Does anyone know what vehicles would have had these engines

Thanks

Chris

The flat head V8 engine was used in the Ford WOA cars and WOT range of trucks (8cwt,15cwt,30cwt, 3ton 4x4and 3ton6x4) and also in the Bren carrier. The engine was based on the pre war 22hp engine but for military purposes was uprated to 30hp. These were the old RAC ratings, BHP rating was 85. I can't confirm the no of studs but since it was a cast iron unit the bell housing was probably the same.

Hope this helps.

Hi Guys

not sure what cubic inch it is...i will try and find out.

sound like it was in a few vehicles, so maybe there will be some luck

I am told it was also in a Blitz....it is probably a case of being in the right place at the right time....still having things on a list to look for always makes W&P more fun....might be a mare getting it home if i find one though

cheers

Chris

Chris,

Just saw this on MilWeb's feature about Beltring:

The Tunnel Of Rummage Comes to Beltring - stands C17 C18

RR recently moved premises and during the mammoth clear out and tidy up a huge amount of hitherto forgotten military vehicle spares and accessories was discovered – some of which hadn’t seen the light of day since the last Ruddington sales.....

Items like Butler blackout and headlamps, SCR508 radios, Jeep aerial sets, GMC floor mats (every Jimmy needs one!) recon Bedford RL engines, Ferret periscopes, Dingo engines, V8 flatheads, jeep and AFV sun compasses. Plus many more stillages of spares, obscure and common for vehicles WW2 to present day - just come and rummage.

We will take our usual comprehensive range of War Paint and canvas waterproofer.

Might be of interest/worth a phone call to RR Services????

Chris, as far as I know the pre-war engines were 21-stud, not 24. The Ford V8 Flathead was fitted to a huge number (100,000's) of vehicles manufactured by Ford Canada during WW2, ranging from cars & trucks to tracked carriers. Ford in the UK manufactured huge numbers of V8 powered vehicles as well.

Seeing that your friend does not know these details, I guess he's looking for an engine for a hot rod? After WW2, the French fitted the 24-stud V8 engine in the SUMB truck, many of which are now sold on the collector's market. They have various refinements over the WW2 engines and are the one to choose if originality is of no importance. As noted above, RR Services sells parts for these French trucks, incl. engines. As a matter of fact, there's a take-out engine advertised for UKP 1000 on MilWeb as we speak.

Hope this helps,

Hanno

Hi all

thanks for the info

The car it's going into is a 39 Ford. They already have a 21 stud engine....but apparently that is the wrong one....they seem to be quite sure it should be a 24 stud one.....

Now RR's name has been mentioned I have got vague recollection of there being engines on pallets in front of their stall last year....so that is a definate good leads, thanks for that

i think it will need to be a case of not buying anything unless they are absolutely sure

cheers

Chris

There was a load of these engines in a scrap yard down the road from our cottage in Normandy which is about 4 miles out of Lessay on the Coutances road if you do not get fixed up give me a shout as I am going out there in 10 days

C

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have 2 wartime Ford V8 vehicles, both English. They each have a 21 stud engine as they were made in Dagenham and are 3622cc. The 24 stud engine was built in Canada, and was 3.91 litres. The French V8 engines fitted to the SUMB are based on the 24 stud engine, but I believe nothing is interchangeable with the older wartime engine. Both the 21 and 24 stud engines are correct for 1939/40, but you just have to remember where they originated for the vehicle you intend to use them for.