What is this Autolite genny for?

things_green

Hi again folks,

I bought home about 2 ton of WC Dodge parts yesterday.

There were 3 x Autoite 12v 50amp gennys included.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u212/things_green/Grond/12vautolightgenny.jpg

The one in the image has a very different mounting assembly/faceplate.

twin belt pulley, all similar to the Flathead Ford set-up but much bigger/sturdier.

It all looks factory standard.

can anyone enlighten me as to what it may have been fitted too originally?

cheers,

Brent.

Wellington.

New Zealand.

Well I've seen piles of Dodge stuff, but never that configuration. Basic generator looks like a 12v Command or Carryall unit body.

I can only guess it will fit something like a multibank tank or landing craft engine. The twin belts, bearings on both sides of the pulleys, and flange that looks like it will mount a radiator fan would suggest that configuration.

What's the generator type on the plate then? It should say. if we can post the type round the diferent fora that might get us an answer.

Gordon

... if we can post the type round the diferent fora that might get us an answer.

Gordon

Forum is an odd word with two different plurals. When Forum means "a meeting place or medium for the exchange of views", its plural is Forums.

The same plural, Forums, is also used for its second meaning, "(in America) a court or tribinal."

Only when the word forum describes " (in an ancient Roman city) a public square or marketplace used for judicial or other business" that the plural becomes Fora.

I suggest that message boards such as this best fit the first meaning of the word Forum, the plural is therefore Forums.

(which is why this discussion board has a button "mark forums read")

Concise Oxford English Dictionary.

End of pedantic rant.

Edited by antarmike

<polite correction mode on>

Oh dear, falling out with Mike next ...:cool2:

The HMVF have forums, as in, "mark forums read" as you say, however my intention was to post the information round many different locations, starting with the WW2 Dodge Forum, the 39-47 Dodge Yahoo Group, and Maple Leaf Up.

Since these are multiple locations, each with multiple forums, I would humbly beg to suggest that my original use of the term 'fora' was correct, in both English language and Latin usages :angel:

To my eternal joy my Latin tutor was actually called Horace, couldn't make it up, could you?

</polite correction mode off>

Anyway, did we get a model type of the serial plate or not?

Gordon

Forum is an odd word with two different plurals. When Forum means "a meeting place or medium for the exchange of views", its plural is Forums.

The same plural, Forums, is also used for its second meaning, "(in America) a court or tribinal."

Only when the word forum describes " (in an ancient Roman city) a public square or marketplace used for judicial or other business" that the plural becomes Fora.

I suggest that message boards such as this best fit the first meaning of the word Forum, the plural is therefore Forums.

(which is why this discussion board has a button "mark forums read")

Concise Oxford English Dictionary.

End of pedantic rant.

<polite correction mode on>

Oh dear, falling out with Mike next ...:cool2:

The HMVF have forums, as in, "mark forums read" as you say, however my intention was to post the information round many different locations, starting with the WW2 Dodge Forum, the 39-47 Dodge Yahoo Group, and Maple Leaf Up.

Since these are multiple locations, each with multiple forums, I would humbly beg to suggest that my original use of the term 'fora' was correct, in both English language and Latin usages :angel:

To my eternal joy my Latin tutor was actually called Horace, couldn't make it up, could you?

</polite correction mode off>

Anyway, did we get a model type of the serial plate or not?

Gordon

It is a long while since I did my Latin O level (how I passed it I don't know) .

My Latin Teacher was J J Smith, but we never knew what J J stood for!.

Forum in the "Roman city square" sense has the plural Fora since it is a latin word, used in context.

Forum in the first two senses in the Concise Oxford Dictionary is derived from a Middle English word, and middle english does not use Roman (latin) rules for plurals, therefore it is Forums as a plural.

see also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum

Edited by antarmike

the model code is GDJ-4830A

and just for my own interest a low serial number 000283.

I'm fortunate in that of the 6 of these beasties I have this is the only one with a legible makers plate.

The extra bearing housing and associated kit make it barely within my ability to lift!

We do love our green machines and the heavy duty build quality, I guess thats why they have survived the rigors of service life and the time.

Brent