Origin of Peep

simonsfotos

Question

I am currently reading a fascinating book called 'WW2 Allied Vehicles Military Portfolio 1939-1945 published by Brooklands Books. It is a collection of reprints from such as Motor, Autocar, Liight Car etc. Excellent period stuff on thinggs like Humber, Dingo and all sorts of others. owever my question is this. There is an article dated December 1942 where the correspondent visits te wilds of Wales and conducts an off-road test of what we know as a Ford GPW or Jeep. However, in thhe article and in serveral of the others that I have read, it refers to it being a 'Peep'. It is even entitled 'He rode in a Peep'. Anyone know the origin of this and why it was used?

4 answers to this question

Yes , there are references back to the origins Bantam . MA etc. The name "Peep" was because it was a "reconnaissance" vehicle.

The are a few good reference source.

Brooklands Book JEEP 1942-1954 Reprint "Peeps Under Test" Motor magazine 25/11/1942 is one example.

Apparantly the Yanks did not like the term "Peep"

=========

Another ref.

http://www.willys-mb.co.uk/jeep-pics.htm

Edited by ruxy

Dodge's are reffered to as 'BEEPS'. I've talked to vetrans who say this was purley a press thing. In service they were always called Jeeps, or Dodges. The reason being Beep and Jeep were to easy to mix up and you wanted the vehicle of a size you'd asked for.