spotted these two sets set of dragons teeth between haselmere and grayswood on a286 traveled this road many hundreds of times but traveling slower with sons off roader on trailer caught them out of corner of eye said to boys did you see those dragons teeth yeah and havent you seen them before dad ! spoke to my dad about them and he has traveled that road as in trucks many times his answer was carnt say ive noticed them. spec savers for both of us i think .

dragons teeth003..jpg

dragons teeth002..jpg

dragons teeth004..jpg

dragons teeth001..jpg

Interesting that they have remained intact for so long , I m guessing that originally they might have been intended to block the road back in the early days of WWII and were never used or are they where they have always been ? Would they be protected historical items or something that could be bought and moved ? Yes I realize they weigh a ton or more each , just thinking of that museum/historical military camp .

Interesting that they have remained intact for so long , I m guessing that originally they might have been intended to block the road back in the early days of WWII and were never used or are they where they have always been ? Would they be protected historical items or something that could be bought and moved ? Yes I realize they weigh a ton or more each , just thinking of that museum/historical military camp .

They were designed to slow down the possible advance of a proposed Enemy landing. There are quite a few still surviving around the UK. Mainly near the coast. There are a lot in East Sussex here & there.

I have seen these lifted out of the ground & used as Entrance markers painted White, at the begining of some peoples drive! They also vary in size, from a couple of feet tall (What you can see above the ground) To about four feet high (Again, above the ground) All part of our forgotten history & slowly disapearing behind hedge growth! :-D

Mike

Here are a few images of a German line of Dragons Teeth near the Hürtgen forrest. With a few WWII vehicles thrown in for good measure.

yes, Ive, seen these when I visited that area. And one or two of the very interesting private museums in small surrounding villages.

Tank Teeth & blown up bunkers & Blockhouses are still very common on the German Borders.

I spent some time at Vogalsang training camp, right on the German/Belgien border. The place is teeming with historic stuff! The Westwall is still there with masses of these teeth for miles! It is of course forbidden to use a metal detector because of the large amounts of weaponry lost in that area from the fierce fighting that ensued from the push into Germany. (Of course, everybody really takes notice of this!..........:cool2:) All round the woods surrounding Aachen, ther are large blockhouses, all destroyed by the advancing Allies. The sequence was, attach an explosive charge to the cieling inside & blow it. The roof usually collapsed & the walls fell inwards. However, they only fell in about two meters & it is possible to get inside still. (Not recomended, of course!) :angel: I wish I had taken a camera, there were huge amounts of these fortifications in this area alone. Aachen citry centre has a famous Cathedral which still exibits shrapnell scars on the lower walls as evidence of the heavy allied bombing. Well worth a look if your in the area.

Mike.

Edited by Joris

Cool pictures

mmmm Toblerone :red:

No Candy, you'll spoil your appetite...

Me in the German speaking part of the Ardennes.

IMG_3073Small.jpg

(Disclaimer; photo taken with my camera by 1 of my friends. Weapon was non functional. All weapons used with permits under Belgian laws. We were filming for a documentary and weapons were supplied by the company for the duration of filming only).

(Disclaimer; photo taken with my camera by 1 of my friends. Weapon was non functional. All weapons used with permits under Belgian laws. We were filming for a documentary and weapons were supplied by the company for the duration of filming only).

There you go taking all the mystery out of things !

Has to do with Dutch gunlaws.

Here we get in trouble using these without personal permits.

In Belgium and for this purpose its different.

Normally I do most commemorations/marches as a Medic so don't need a weapon.

Has to do with Dutch gunlaws.

Here we get in trouble using these without personal permits.

In Belgium and for this purpose its different.

Normally I do most commemorations/marches as a Medic so don't need a weapon.

Never knew this was necessary for posting pics mate... ?

Never knew this was necessary for posting pics mate... ?

Not really neccesary I guess but you never know who sees it and draws wrong conclusions.

Offcourse the teeth gives a clue to its location but so many Dutch re-enacters have photo's on Facebook etc. with weapons without explaining the legality of it.

Better safe than sorry I think.