Old type combat jacket.

Paddy

I still have the old green combat jacket I was issued with in 1964. I don't want to sell it but was wondering if it might be worth anything? I've looked on Ebay once or twice but never seen one and wonder if they're pretty rare now. I remember surplus ones going for thirty shillings (£1.50) years ago and most blokes seemed to wear them for work then.

I also have an over-your-head smock, not the parachute type, just plain green dated 1944. I found it in the cab of a Bedford I once drove. I've never seen anyone wearing one and just one picture of soldiers wearing them during the Cyprus Emergency. What were they issued for? Wonder if it might be worth a few bob to top up my pension?

It MAY be more unusual than it seems. In 1944, a handful of Para-Type smocks were issued to certain Army units. As far as I can remember, from something I read recently, they didn't have any camo-pattern either.

I'll do some more checking...

I assume Paddy may be talking about the plain green wind proof smocks made in a denim material for mountain troops or similar. Does it have a hood.

I have never seen a green Denison Smock.

It may also be the pattern designed to be worn over the uniform and equipment during drops bbut these had zips.

A picture is required.

If it helps, I bought a green combat jacket from an Army Surplus store in Sunderland sometime around 1970 for 50p. It must have been between 1971 and 1974 cos we didn't decimalise until 1971 and I joined the army in January 1975. Put into perspective 50p was nearly two gallons of petrol in 1973. Maybe a tenner in modern money. Hmmm still cheap.

My 64 combat jacket is Large/Fat Git but it's pretty faded and tatty so I won't be booking a cruise on the strength of it.

The smock is just a plain green, a bit like the old style combat suit colour and made of incredibly tight woven material. I wore it going to work on my motorbike and it really kept the wind out. I found this site today after a long search and there's repro one here. It's almost identical but looks to be made of much lighter material .

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.solomonadler.com/zbozi/51_2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.solomonadler.com/uniforms.htm&usg=__hJoIhPWcj8Nntz_Ty5hiSN9No5I=&h=600&w=632&sz=103&hl=en&start=6&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=BeSciBivgyoD6M:&tbnh=130&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwindproof%2Bsmock%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG%26tbs%3Disch:1

I wore it going to work on my motorbike and it really kept the wind out.

Funny you should say that: I used to wear mine when I was out of the bike. Coupled with the jackboots I wore, all I needed was an SS badge on the left sleeve. What's that on my left sleeve?

The Provost Sergeant once stopped and gave me some very friendly advice (unusual for a Provost Sergeant) and pointed out that any badge incorporating a swastika would be illegal in Germany.

I removed the SS badge.

• 8 months later...

I've sold quite a few of these 1960 pattern combat smocks on e bay and it depends on the size and condition. The larger sizes, 6, 8 and 9 are the most valuable and can fetch anything from £50 upwards. I have sold a size 6 in unissued condition for over £80 and I have seen them go for over £100 on e bay. The later ones in DPM camo are as rare as hens teeth and thus the sky is the limit really for auction prices. As for the windproof smock, if it really is dated 1944 then it may easily reach well over £100 on e bay.

Edited by jonclark

I've sold quite a few of these 1960 pattern combat smocks on e bay and it depends on the size and condition. The larger sizes, 6, 8 and 9 are the most valuable and can fetch anything from £50 upwards. I have sold a size 6 in unissued condition for over £80 and I have seen them go for over £100 on e bay. The later ones in DPM camo are as rare as hens teeth and thus the sky is the limit really for auction prices. As for the windproof smock, if it really is dated 1944 then it may easily reach well over £100 on e bay.

Where do you find them Jon?!

Where do you find them Jon?!

Mostly after searching for days and days on e bay. If you have an e bay account you can put in a favourite search that can be saved for 6 months and you will be notified whenever something that matches is listed. I have 1960 pattern, 1960 pattern combat, 1960 combat etc. Be aware that these days they go for quite high prices. I wrote a guide on e bay about combat jacket sizes explaining how the system works, in case you are ion any doubt about what size to look for. If you cant find it on e bay then google British Army Combat Jacket Sizes and I think it comes up about four or five items down in the list. Or alternatively just drop me a line and I shall run off a quick summary of them for you

Cheers,

Jon