D44 The Soviets answer to the 17 pdr ?

I took delivery today of a Soviet D44 85mm Anti-Tank gun,after some research in to the gun I realised how similar it is to the 17 pdr and came to the conclusion that it was the Soviets answer to the 17 pdr.

Designed in 1943 the gun entered production in 1945 and ran til 1953.

As I already have a 17 pounder I though it would be an idea to have what I think is its counterpart.

The D44 I acquired will have to under go a full restoration, many of the parts are seized and there are a few bits missing so they will have to be sourced probably from poland (if anyone is going that way !).

I have had a quick look over the gun to try and find a date of manufacture and although it has a multitude of markings I have not found anything,it would be nice if it was early production.

If the seller is viewing this thread can I thank him for an easy transaction.

Pics attached of the new addition

Rob...................rnixartillery collection.

DSCF3343..jpg

DSCF3334..jpg

DSCF3337..jpg

DSCF3336..jpg

DSCF3335..jpg

Edited by rnixartillery

very nice,

the d44 was a replacement for the zis 3 76mm gun although larger bore it is lighter than 17pdr and was probably designed as the bs3 100mm gun was too heavy in the a/t role.

assuming all things are equal similar m/v and similar weight of shell the d44 is probably a more destructive than the 17pdr as standard shell has a bursting charge.

steve

I took delivery today of a Soviet D44 85mm Anti-Tank gun,after some research in to the gun I realised how similar it is to the 17 pdr and came to the conclusion that it was the Soviets answer to the 17 pdr.

Designed in 1943 the gun entered production in 1945 and ran til 1953.

As I already have a 17 pounder I though it would be an idea to have what I think is its counterpart.

The D44 I acquired will have to under go a full restoration, many of the parts are seized and there are a few bits missing so they will have to be sourced probably from poland (if anyone is going that way !).

I have had a quick look over the gun to try and find a date of manufacture and although it has a multitude of markings I have not found anything,it would be nice if it was early production.

If the seller is viewing this thread can I thank him for an easy transaction.

Pics attached of the new addition

Rob...................rnixartillery collection.

Another nice addition to the collection then Rob!

I can see a plug weleded in the chamber but, is the breech block missing. Or in the depressed/ open mode?

Mike.

Another nice addition to the collection then Rob!

I can see a plug weleded in the chamber but, is the breech block missing. Or in the depressed/ open mode?

Mike.

Hi mike

Yes , you are correct the block is missing and there are a few other parts I will try to find.

It has been de-act also and its quite a big lump,it measures 28 foot in length.

It would be nice to find a case and projectile for it !:cool2:

Rob...............rnixartillery.

hi rob

i think i might be able to help you out with the ammo,can you post some pics of what you're after and give dimensions ie shell case width length any marks on the base and projectile dimensions

eddy

Hi Eddy

JC has a nice round for sale but its a bit more than I want to pay,I will try and find some pics of the ammo it would fire and post them here.

Rob......................rnixartillery.