Thermostat for b series rolls royce engines

Fugly

Hello all

Just been quoted £88 for a b60 thermostat !!!:shocked:

That seems a tad high...... Anyone ever found a modern replacement ? If its the right size, with a suitable temp range and it opens enough to let the water through , wheres the problem ?

Any ideas ?

These are from my notes on part numbers either from parts catalogues & equivalents or types that I have found that were fitted in service.

Thermostat, Smiths (bellows type) FV145168, LV6/MT1/SM/X/30065/42 (also /36), RE21886, X30065

Thermostat, (wax type) 78 degrees, FV669056, LV6MT1/6620-99-813-0240, RE26275, C3508-150-78CPL14660

who quoted you that price?

Dont really want to shame the guilty , but another dealer offered me a quote that was half the £88.

I have now removed the thermostat, and tested it and it seems to work very well, so hopefully I won't need a replacement. I do appreciate that it is a nice piece of engineering though .... Heavy but nice !

Maybe the cheaper price was for a different type, or a modern equivalent but I just asked for the price for a B series thermostat and was not offered a choice, so I could only assume there was one option.

I run a business and one thing I know is that customers have long memories for good and bad experiences.. When I enquired with expensive dealer about his price , asking him if it was perhaps an error because the other dealer was only charging half the price I was told to "go and buy it off him then "

Maybe that should have been an opportunity for him to explain the difference in items available ( taking only 10 seconds) , instead of losing a customer (forever) in 10 seconds. :-D

Anyhow, I am going to investigate a cheaper option ... :-D

These are from my notes on part numbers either from parts catalogues & equivalents or types that I have found that were fitted in service.

Thermostat, Smiths (bellows type) FV145168, LV6/MT1/SM/X/30065/42 (also /36), RE21886, X30065

Thermostat, (wax type) 78 degrees, FV669056, LV6MT1/6620-99-813-0240, RE26275, C3508-150-78CPL14660

Thanks for the info , mine is a bellows type (encrusted with diamonds) :cool2:

Hello,

Several years ago there were some posts on the Ferret Heaven Group about a Toyota stat being used on B Series engines. The 2 most useful were posted by Jim K, message no's 12088 and 12090 He owns a Stalwart and has done the conversion and offered pics and instructions. I would copy the post here but I would guess that breaks some sort of Forum etiquette. Regards, Bob

• 8 months later...

I have a Smiths bellows thermostat, it has the following part numbers stamped on it:

RE23713

FV147388

30065/42

72C162F

That one match out of four, I assumed it was for a B series.

Brian

Brian the first 3 all tie up, but I can't cross reference 72C162F. Its structure suggests it might be a RAF Vocabulary item. But I have the RAF B60 Mk 5 Schedule of Spare Parts that gives their vocab ref for the thermostat as 16B/7449.

However this equates to Rolls Royce part no UE3531 = Smiths Y.30065/40, so that all ties up. I have got the 1952 Humber parts list & that gives another variant 30065/32, although at that stage it didn't have a RE or FV allocation.

I can't see the significance of the suffix, I had thought it might be related to an opening temperature or something. RR list a few of them here although there is no indication to what particular applications they might apply.

App2481.jpg

I note in RR Service Bulletin No.25 that they wax type should be replaced every 2 years, but I idon't think I have ever seen a wax one.

BTW we are all familiar with RR part numbers prefixed by RE, but what is the significance of the less common UE prefix?

BTW we are all familiar with RR part numbers prefixed by RE, but what is the significance of the less common UE prefix?

Hi Clive,

I have always understood that UE part numbers were for items specifically intended for civilian / commercial versions of the B Range. That is, any engine with a "0" after the Mk. number, ie. Mk.50.

Hi Clive,

I have always understood that UE part numbers were for items specifically intended for civilian / commercial versions of the B Range. That is, any engine with a "0" after the Mk. number, ie. Mk.50.

Although there are some UE part numbers which also have FV numbers. Then there are UA numbers as well. I can see that RD seems to be the RR number for approved electrical items from CAV, Delco, Lucas etc

also some b60 thermostats have threaded holes to help with extraction , and some dont the ones that dont can be a bugger to get out !!on my b60 thermostat would not come out and yes i did try everthing , ended up getting new housing new thermostst gaskets etc

We got a thermostat from this mob in the USA a couple of years back:

http://www.khakicorpsimports.com

Maybe you guys know more about them than I do. I can't recall the price at the time, but it was reasonable. Might be worth a follow up.

Banister's is one of the main dealers in the UK http://www.milweb.net/go/banister