seen this one before?

Anyone any idea about this one? definitely slightly different looking

Answers on a postcard

Pete

I bet there isn't four feet of movement in the axles without catching that bodywork. Anybody catch the first episode of the latest series of Chris Barrie's Great British Inventions or whatever (on Discovery?), about the 1920s? I never realised the Pioneer went all the way back to 1927.

Certainly is the old Caffyns pioneer, the guy who restored her has done a fine job but the radiator grilles are not quite right, not his fault as i understand he was working blind with no reference photos this has now been rectified and a friend who used to be a manager at the Folkestone depot has sent on photos to him that i supplied. The recovery truck was built in the workshops at Folkestone and served at east bourne the photo shows it just out of the workshop for a photo call. the second photo should be in the Explorer thread but i think better placed here as it is also Caffyns of Eastbourne

hmvf1.jpg

hmvf2.jpg

• 3 years later...

I remember the Eastbourne based Pioneer, but not as fondly as the Ashford, New Street, based Morris from 1939. I used to work as an apprentice for Caffyns back then and regularly kick myself for not taking any pictures of it or the Landrover me and my mechanic used so often. I last saw the Morris at a breakers yard in Shadoxhurst(?).

I know some purists would be horrified but....I think it looks lovely....

...and isn't she a cracking example of an ex-services vehicle being given a new lease of life :) .

an excellent case of swords to ploughshears etc etc :) ......Wonderful to see/hear that it's survived to these days too!

I think that the surrounds of the radiator grilles started life as the tops of two doors from some 40s or 50s car - very creative. Who can recognise the car?

David

In the b&w photo yeah?.....don't know about them being door tops but ...

they do look a lot like the rear window/back quarter panels off something like an Austin 7 ??????

and by the way..the tractor with her caravan looks like an awesome rig to go on holiday in !