B4&AFTER pics

colin jones

Hi Colin,

Looking at your before and after photos of the Saracen, did you change the fans when the shroud over the radiator louvres was removed? It would appear that it was a "field conversion" to reverse flow cooling anyway, as although the beehives were fitted, the hull ducting around the front of the drivers compartment was not removed.

hello everyone, it is a lot of work to get these machines restored but I don't need to tell you that. The saracen as far as I know was used in belfast for riot control and then spent a few years at singapore before it came to australia. I have had it for about three years and the only problem I have to fix is a leak at the fluid coupling which is engine and trans out. If anyone has done this before I would love to have any pictures and or info help.

regards

Colin.

Hi Richard, I never touched anything except for the removal of the bullbar and rubber matting.

Colin.

Colin,

When you run the engine, check to see if air is drawn in the front or blown outwards. If blown outwards, it still has the reverse flow fans and you should retain the front shroud or change the fans for the conventional ones, else you will overheat very quickly, especially where you are situated. This vehicle appears to have its ducting still in place, it is the large box section going either side of drivers hatches, this is where the hot air is evacuated on a conventional airflow system.

regards, Richard

Now that you mention it richard, it does run very hot and I put it down to a dirty radiator. I did flush it out a couple of times but it still boiled. So do I need to put the matting back over the front again.

Colin.

Colin,

Check to see if the fans are blowing outwards, if so, easiest solution is to refit the shroud and rubber flap. I suspect it might be difficult to locate another set of regular fans in Australia.

Hello and thanks for your comments. Jeff the Dove (Devon) has not flown in about 30 years and doubt it ever will. An interesting story about that particular one. In Kalgoolie (western australia), there was a gold heist in 1966 which some may remember. There was a tonne of gold that was to be transported to the perth mint but nerver arrived and has never been found since. The pilot and co pilot as far as I know went to jail for a holiday and even today are still good at keeping secrets. My aircraft is that one, and yes I have checked everywhere for the gold. But a good bit of history and yarn material there.

regards

Colin.

Hi everyone, Just a few pics of my completed projects, and projects waiting inline projects (mk V1B vickers, bren carriers, jeep and dukw). A couple of pics of my workshop at home with some bren stowage boxes I made and some 2lb attack carrier heat shields.

A 2LB carrier I'm working on at the moment and another carrier in the workshop.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Regards

Colin.

IMG_0243.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

Every man needs a shed, but if you have'nt got you can bring your stuff to my place.:-)

Hello Colin,

I take it you are a farmer mate? I would KILL for facilities and barn like yours, you are very lucky. If you are looking for a truck driver, can you offer me a job, and then that would enable me to get sponsorship to come down under, but of course, I would need to bring my toys with me!!!!:cool2::-D

Great looking projects and vehicles by the way!!