ferret ,bren gun mount

griff66

Question

have been nosing round my ferret today and we noticed(cheers keith) that my 1964 mk1/2 has a footwell mount for bren gun stock and mount also on propshaft cover i thought it was mk1,s with a bren inside the vehicle is this unusual? also found three canvas covers pt no 1040-99-962-1175 that look like they go over smoke dischargers?:cool2:

15 answers to this question

have been nosing round my ferret today and we noticed(cheers keith) that my 1964 mk1/2 has a footwell mount for bren gun stock and mount also on propshaft cover i thought it was mk1,s with a bren inside the vehicle is this unusual? also found three canvas covers pt no 1040-99-962-1175 that look like they go over smoke dischargers?:cool2:

Early in Service, MKI's (Also with .30"'s) & MKI/II's were armed with a .303" Bren. Then later the 7.62mm LMGs,(L4A4) & finally the L7A2 (GPMG) :saluting:

bovvy service card mentions .30 mg.

May have had one. A lot of different things were done at unit level that was unique to a particular vehilcle, or even unit. The official Buff says' it should have x,y,z Etc. But, a particular section, sqn, Company Etc may well have 'done thier own thing'.

A good example is the laod basket on the rear of SOME Ferrets. This was NEVER an officail mod. BUT, A Hell of a lot of units made & used them. Each units construction was slightly different. But th end results were all similar.

This did not just apply to weapons. Individual soldiers did thier own thing in the field also with personal equipment. As MANY our Ex Serving Comrades on this Forum will attest! :cool2:

Every Ferret I ever crewed, be it Mark 1 or Mark 2, was equipped with a Three-Oh. *

I'd suggest that when a vehicle went into / came out of Workshops after a major overhaul, it would be equipped with whatever was flavour of the day and the CES amended accordingly and you'd end up with multiple CESs for the driver's kit, radio kit, etc. 1976 - 1982, the Three-Oh was definitely flavour of the day.

* Actually maybe not entirely true. In July 1977 I briefly crewed a Mark 5 but since this was ATGM firing camp, no MGs were carried. I suspect the Mark 5 only ever carried a GPMG.

so if you had to pick a gun for a 64> ferret mk1/2 out of all the options 30 mg, 303 bren, 7.62 bren ,7.62gpmg which would have possibly on board for longest?or now best price, and if honest looks the best up there!

Edited by griff66

so if you had to pick a gun for a 64> ferret mk1/2 out of all the options 30 mg, 303 bren, 7.62 bren ,7.62gpmg which would have possibly on board for longest?or now best price, and if honest looks the best up there!

Put it into finacial context then:

.30 Browning £600-£850

.303" Bren £275-£325

7.62mm LMG L4A4 £900-£1200 (Anything lower priced than that is usually a FAKE!)

GPMG £2,500-£2,750

Does that make it any easier to make a choice!....:-D

Three-Oh IMCO. I also never feel comfortable seeing anything other than a Three-Oh on any Ferret.

:-D

Put it into finacial context then:

.30 Browning £600-£850

.303" Bren £275-£325

7.62mm LMG L4A4 £900-£1200 (Anything lower priced than that is usually a FAKE!)

GPMG £2,500-£2,750

Does that make it any easier to make a choice!....:-D

so if you had to pick a gun for a 64> ferret mk1/2

how is the rest of the vehicle configured and what period in its life are you portraying ?

GPMG with DBG paint won't do, similarly 303 Bren is dodgy with Nato 2 tone camo. Are you Clansman or Larkspur and lastly, as Mike says, do you feel rich. Yes I am a rivet counter and pay for it

:-D

Edited by john fox

well its in sand at the moment so am going to respray it dbg,or green and black, for gun just on price its going to be a 303 bren or 30 mg,am going to try not to be a rivet counter on these beasts as like i think ferret fixer said in there service life there would have been a lot of crossover in guns ,radio sets etc im just happy having original side bins,! oops have started counting rivets!:cool2: