Fairford Steam Rally

I used to go to this one but the idiots who ran it so pee'd me off I stopped going. I couldn't be persuaded to go back if the same crew run the show, Waste of time!!!

Really. Not been to this one so can't say what it's like. So what's the story with this lot then Mike?

To set the scene Rainy Rally, panicking organisers..., we had been asked to limit vehicle movements. I moved my Matador from my campsite to the display area. It stayed there all day long. I passed the day, wandering around, autojumbling etc. Everytime I went past the beer tent the same vehicles were there, A Scammell Explorer, in Army Green, A green Scammell Super Constructor, and a biG Red Scammell Contractor, and a pale blue Junoir Constructor. They were there from 10.00 till late...

At 5.00 pm I took my Maroon Matador Timber tractor, from the Commercial line, back towards my campsite, when A Marshall stopped me, told me to park up and walk back to my Caravan but don't attempt to drive. I was about to explain to him, that i wasn't churning up any mud or going to get stuck, when he accused me of being drunk and incapable of driving sfaely. I asked him what he meant. He said my vehicle had been outside the beer tent all day long.

I told him it hadn't( I told him exactly which vehicles had been, and how unlike mine they looked) and I hadn't been drinking. I had been parked on the commercial line.. I told him that if a Marshall can't even count how many wheels a vehicle had it was a sad state of affairs. And if he was colour blind it was even worse.

I got out the cab and went with this Marshall to "See the Committee" They backed up their marshall and siad I couldn't drive. I said i am fine to drive, I haven't been drinking. They said if I was going to drive they would make sure I drove off the Rally field and went home. I pointed out how ludicrous it was to say I would have to leave their rally and drive home, (90 miles on public roads) when I couldn't drive a further 200 hundred yard to my Campsite "because I was drunk".

The Rally Secretary told me to get off the rally field with my lorry, and I told him to Feck off!. I did't do as he wanted instead I drove back to my campsite,( with no further interference, Had a few beers in the beer tent, (first of the day) had a good night sleep, and went home on the Sunday morning with no intention of having anything to do with their proxy rally ever again!

I hope you have a better experience....

Edited by antarmike

Bl***dy hell, its a shame when you get that sort of experience, especially when you've taken so much trouble to get there for their event.

And if committee really believed the marshal, to suggest you driving on the road is really stupid.

I'm new to this and am looking forward to meeting you guys at these events and feeling welcome.

I'm painting my jeep to represent a british jeep in mickey mouse camoflage, (probably the wiltshire regiment). So just in case, should I keep a pair of ears in the the back?:cheesy:

I'm going to book this one up if nothing more "Military" is on the same weekend.

Some Marshalls do seem to be complete numpties. You see the same at W&P. One minute they are wearing their red marshalls tee shirt telling you you can't do this and that and then the next they are driving their Gamma Goat well over the site speed limit past pedestrians with no attemp to slow down.