scammell pioneer restoration

ruggyjohn

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Richard, what I think of Gardner enthusiast is not printable on here, suffice to say do not touch him with a barge pole, liar and a thief. Gardner marine are not cheap but charge the going rate, are very knowledgable on gardners and have a large amount of spares, wish I had gone there in the first place but you live and learn.

Hi Richard, what I think of Gardner enthusiast is not printable on here, suffice to say do not touch him with a barge pole, liar and a thief. Gardner marine are not cheap but charge the going rate, are very knowledgable on gardners and have a large amount of spares, wish I had gone there in the first place but you live and learn.

Haha. Ah, that's a bit unfortunate. I just ordered a few bits from them today.

• 2 months later...

Some more progress on the scammell, compressor bearings were rough so it is stripped and ready to be rebuilt, new seals will be also fitted, getting 7 rims ready for shot blast and the radiator needs rebuilding, tubes leaking and holes in the ally bottom tank, just when I thought things would get better.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 5 months later...

New drive flange that slides on to the splined shaft from the clutch has been made and fitted the old one was badly worn, brand new diesel tank copied from the original and ready for paint, clutch brake relined and refitted to bell housing, engine test run and ready for egg shell blue.

hi andy, this is a team effort, norris a model engineer helped with the rear body and makes small parts on his lathe and miller and john who is an hydraulics engineer and very clued up guy helps with everything, i have no engineering background myself but have picked it up as i have gone along, if in doubt ask is my motto, and also very fortunate to have a decent workshop with a forklift, the one thing that never changes in a resto is that it will take you twice as long and cost twice as much as you originally estimated.

• 1 month later...

Some copper pipes on the engine have been left unpainted along with some ally parts including the injector pump, I know its not correct but I think it just lifts the appearance of the engine without going over the top, radiator now fitted along with the diesel tank, next job is to Finnish the cab window frames, blast and paint then refit.

• 2 weeks later...

hi richard, used a dti gauge in the end instead of making some trammells as it says in the workshop manual, you can see it in one of the pics, got it to within 5 thou, there is some play on the gearbox input shaft bearing so there was a little guess work involved, what takes the longest is undoing the engine mounts every time to remove or add shim material and then tighten everything down before taking another measurement, made 4 adjustments before we were happy with it, i am now waiting for comments on one of the pics where it doesnt look right for a pioneer ?.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...