WW2 vehicles in Burma

ajmac

I'm off to Burma for a few weeks work in January, anything British / US WW2 era to look out for? Someone said they had a lot of Universal Carriers at one time...

....and when I come back I'm off to Gabon in West Africa - I don't expect to find anything of interest there... did they ever get any Shermans?

Edited by ajmac

....and when I come back I'm off to Gabon in West Africa - I don't expect to find anything of interest there... did they ever get any Shermans?

What about the Ground Nut Oil scheme that happened in the late 1940s? They used considerable amounts of wartime vehicles in Africa, including Shermans modified as Tractors, and I have a photo of a WOA2A in Africa. Anyone know any more details as to locations?

woa2

including Shermans modified as Tractors

These are already being discussed in the Shevick thread. In East Africa there was/is a guarded area now belonging to Kenyian Army were many british vehicles including AFVs were left to rot, although I would think anything surviving has been stripped out.

I believe that the Comets and Dingos have all been replaced in recent years by large quantities of more modern Russian armour. The Comets were allegedly disposed of to drug barons associated with the rather unpleasant government. There was a thread on Tanknet about this a year or two back.

Would be very interesting to know what became of them...

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't managed to see any military vehicles yet, apart from one or two 50's Jeeps, however the Army checkpoint guards were all carrying rather corroded M3 Grease Guns! All the other Military types have rather worn looking 5.56mm US Armalites (or however you spell the trade name:-)

One the locals tells me there is a Museum in Yangon which may be of interest but appologised right away as apparently is is a bit run down.... in fact someone may have mentioned that earlier in this thread too.

I'm quite sure the Barge moored up next to this rig is WW2 vintage, it certainly looks rusty & battered enough to have seen the fall of Singapore:-D