Kiwi432's FV432 APC Mk2

Kiwi432

Hi Everyone, The 432 arrived safe and sound in New Zealand on christmas eve. Mark did an awesome job preparing for shipment, everything went like clockwork. We have had a blast getting to know the APC and charging around the farm. The neighbours think Im nuts! Ive got heaps to learn but its going to be alot of fun.

IMGP1252.JPG

IMGP1227.JPG

IMGP1247.jpg

IMGP1238.JPG

IMGP1249.jpg

Thanks for all the posts guys. We are having a blast. In answer to your question Robin, I was looking for a Scorpion or Sabre but was having trouble finding a good one and even with the best exchange rate we have had against the Pound for years it was just going to be too pricey. The 432 had lots of things going for it as an alternative. First it was half the price of a CVRT. Second it was diesel which meant a second mortgage wasnt required to run it. The FV432 seemed to be pretty reliable and not that hard to maintain and best of all I was lucky enough to find a real good one (with spares) that had been owned and maintained by someone who knew what they were doing. More people can ride in and enjoy an APC at any one time so that was a bonus too. Getting the APC here was relatively easy. The vendor had to get an export license your end, which didnt seem too bad apart from the time it took and after that the shipping agent did the rest. The hardest part was handing over the shipping cost (including the 12.5% tax) which was about half the price of the vehicle. Customs and Agriculture cleared it on christmas eve then it was on a truck and home as fast as we could to have a drive. Cheers Johnny

IMGP1234.jpg

IMGP1228.JPG

Hi Adrian, Vehicle registration and a warrant of fitness is required over here. Im about to go through the process. I dont expect to many hassles as all the lights, indicators work on the 432 (thanks again Mark). Cheers Johnny

You are right. There are no exceptions made for vintage vehicles. Light vehicles (jeeps etc.) arent so bad but anything heavier has to comply with the rules as though it was a modern commercial vehicle. This is a real issue with trucks as they expect a 60 year old brake systems to perform like a 21st century system. The APC is easier as it doesnt exceed 30 mph and is classed as though it were an earthmoving machine such as a digger etc. working on a road (yes they have to be registered over here).

Everything has to be registered here but that is a formality (ask Neil!)

There is no test for vehicles over 3500kg, as long as it's used unladen, nor any tracklayers, everything pre 1972 is free tax (private use) and we have historic insurance.

So for us, something like a GMC is easy and cheap, apart from the fuel!

As for certification, the key ruling is "As per the period of time constructed"

Long as the vehicle is standard inspection should be confirming to that requirement as set out in the rules.

Unfortunately there are inspectors who do not wish to follow these inspection rules and only know of the most recent rules as applies to recent vehicles.

I look forward to the day when we get a WW1 vehicle on the road and ready for its inspection. Time to show them that brake testing machines do not work on front axles ( with no brakes) and lamp testing machines will not easily record the image of kerosine powered lights. There have been some most laughable experiences told of testing proceedures with some vintage trucks and vehicle testing inspectors.

I expect you will get asked to set the APC on to the brake rollers!!

Doug

That must be nice. To restore a GMC and have it Vined (have a Vin number assigned to it) requires alot of red tape and about NZ$ 1000. It has to be chained down and brakes tested on a modern brake test machine. Certificate of Fitness is required 6 monthly whether it has done any mileage or not. Im not sure what a COF costs but a Jeep costs NZ$40 and I think a truck costs double that. COFs cant be done by your local "tame" garage that may be a bit lenient but by a commercial testing agent who are very tough.

The images from NZ remind me very much of the early testing from Sankey's Wellington shropshire factory into the mountains of north wales around the Welshpool area over 40 year s ago.

I have tried 3 times to get some onto the thread but the new system has been preventing me but I shall keep trying. yet again it tells me that I do not have permission to perform this action refresh page and log in again.

depsite the fact that I am logged in HELP!!!!!

Edited by alan turner (RIP)