My Land Rover Wolf XD 110

sas pinkie

Well I did manage to get the engine out. the engine mounts were an absolute pig to get too, due to the cassis being bent over the top. I also managed to get the transmission tunnel and drivers floor out. The tunnel is plastic, so despite being distorted, once out returned back to its proper shape, with no signs of damage. I also managed to beat the plate that goes at the front of the tunnel, and bulkhead back into shape, which I was pleased with as I hadnt got a spare of one of these......

Well here are some more pics.... I now wont be able to do anymore for a couple of weeks, as I am on call next weekend.... :cry:

DSCF0920.jpg

DSCF0921.jpg

DSCF0923.jpg

DSCF0924.jpg

DSCF0925.jpg

DSCF0926.jpg

DSCF0927.jpg

DSCF0928.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So the bulkhead is relatively ok?

All the front shots show, to my poor eyesight much damage, but one of the side views its on a bit of a lean.

Just curious as from the original damage shots I was thinking it would be more damaged. Anyway congrats that its not.

Bulkhead is a write off, the chassis leg on the passenger side is approx 5 inches shorter than on the drivers side. The passenger footwell is bent, there are dents in the vent panel and the whole lot is twisted. It will be residing in the scrap pile, I do have another wolf bulkhead to go on.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, what a weekend.

I have repaired the damage to my WMIK caused by the guy driving into it in the snow, and then set too on my Wolf project again.

I removed the seat box which was a nightmare, due to the fact that the chassis had shortened for the accident, and pinned the seat box between the chassis and the rear tub.

After all morning, cutting and beating with a sledge hammer, it eventually let go. Then the bulkhead, which by comparision was alot easier.

DSCF0931.jpg

DSCF0932.jpg

DSCF0934.jpg

DSCF0935.jpg

DSCF0937.jpg

DSCF0943.jpg

DSCF0946.jpg

It was complete bar the dash was missing its clocks, and the wiper motor was gone. The other missing bits (Rad, front panel and front lights, were becasue they were lying on the floor smashed).

I paid £7000 for it, which included a brand new Wolf chassis and a hard top for it. The chassis alone would probably cost at least £2000..... I have also spent apporx £1500 on parts. So a complete xD for £8500 plus my time, not bad seeing as the last restored example went for £18500...... a saving of £10000.

Hope that helps, and good luck finding one though, there is currently more people after them then there are wolfs, so they are snapped up, often long before openly advertised. I got mine as a chap made an off the cuff comment at a Land Rover show that he had a smashed one in his yard that he was thinking of selling..... Right place and right time.... and all that.

How did you get on with the Galv work?

I havnt yet. Been hearing horror stories about what can go wrong, and none of the places will give me a 100% assurance that it will go well without an incident. My worry is that it is the only chassis I am ever likley to find, and if it blows apart during galvanising I am well and truley screwed. I think I might just get it blasted and painted and then provesionally waxoyled in and out......

I havnt yet. Been hearing horror stories about what can go wrong, and none of the places will give me a 100% assurance that it will go well without an incident. My worry is that it is the only chassis I am ever likley to find, and if it blows apart during galvanising I am well and truley screwed. I think I might just get it blasted and painted and then provesionally waxoyled in and out......

Is it possible to blast the chassis and then get it powder coated or hot dipped?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have been busy again,

All steering and front steering guard is off. Steering box will be rebuilt due to its unknown nature following the accident.

The rear cage, Rear tub and the wiring loom has also been removed. I am now running out of space to store it all so wont strip much more until the chassis is painted ready for swops.....

DSCF0971.jpg

DSCF0972.jpg

DSCF0973.jpg

DSCF0974.jpg

DSCF0978.jpg

DSCF0975.jpg

DSCF0977.jpg

• 1 month later...

right, well I have finally turned the corner and started to put it all back together again.

Two weeks ago, I took off the front axle, inspected, painted and installed it to my freshly cold galvanised and painted chassis. I fitted new shocks and shock tower mounts, and new springs. I also have all new steering bars, as all the old ones were ever so slightly bent.

This weekend, I have done the same with the rear axle, and aslo fitted the loom, the rear bumperettes, nato hitch and tow socket with all wiring and the fuel lines. I have also started to bolt some of the extra brackets that hold the body work and exhaust on. I also waxoyled the interior of the chassis (what a horrible juob that is). Once complete, I also intend to waxoyle the outside of the chassis and suspension for extra protection.

Well here are some photos of the fun.

DSCF0574.jpg

DSCF0573.jpg

10.jpg

DSCF0556.jpg

DSCF0557.jpg

DSCF0558.jpg

I take my hat of to you(If only i wore one) But that is some under-taking. You must have the patience of a saint. Great job:thumbsup:.

B.t.w i think it was your old Pinkie i saw at Duxford today. Looked like it had a "For Sale" sign on it.

Yep, the chap has had it on the market since April, he has a bill to pay, so it has to go apparrently.

I intend to be keeping this Wolf for a while, and I would hate to see any rust at all on the chassis, so whilst its at this stage I am applying ever anti rust measure I can. It should also help if as and when I sell it on.

Cheers for all the positive comments.....

• 3 weeks later...

I am deffinately heading in the right direction now. I spent this weekend on the mechanicals. I have fitted the engine and gearbox, on new mounts, after fitting a new clutch and new (and modified) clutch fork. I have refitted the props, rear a frame (with a new ball joint), and front steering arms. I have also now fitted the steering guard and front jate rings.

Well hopefully I can russle up a few helpers and re - attach the rear tub and bulkhead next weekend (as long as the weather is good!).

Well here are a couple of snaps, didnt take alot, as I was rather busy instead.....

DSCF0988.jpg

DSCF0992.jpg

DSCF0993.jpg

DSCF0990.jpg