land rover in 633 squadron

ford 369

at the moment I am watching 633 squadron with the wife and less than five minutes into the film as a jeep drives the squadron leader from his plane towards the station commanders office a series land rover safari is clearly visible,this set me thinking how many more inapropriate vehicles and pieces of kit can be named in films

And who has noticed in The Battle of Britain the scene on a German airfield with a Unimog driving along by the hedge just behind the row of aircraft ?

Pretty good when they weren't even in prototype until around 1947 .

With respect to "Battle Of Britain"

I wonder just how many RAF Matadors had been ordered, built and issued by 1940, and would they have been on fighter airfields? The problem is not just post war vehicles making into WW2 films, it is WW2 vehicles being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I have never seen a wartime still photograph that shows an RAF Matador on a British homeland fighter Airfield in 1940! With The BEF losing most of it's kit at Dunkirk just a few months previously, and resulting serious equipment shortages, would large 4x4 Matadors be parked up in lines on RAF bases doing nothing, as depicted in the film?( Almost every other shot seems to show a Matador)

BofBRafmat.jpg

Although from Cab shape, body style etc, I guess that the AEC Matadors in BofB are actually post ww2 production Matadors (i.e. O85310000+ chassis numbers) from the 1950's and really shouldn't be in the film either! In the highly unlikely event of a Matador being on an RAF Fighter base on UK mainland in 1940, surely it would have had the double curved roof, and had the platform back body? And surely they wouldn't have been painted in RAF Blue Grey as were the BofB film Matadors.

03-03-2008190746.jpg

Edited by antarmike

Why Worry about the odd Land Rover in 633 Squadron? There are such glaring problems with the aircraft themselves, a spurious Land Rover is hardly of any consequence.

The Mosquitos looked nothing like operational aircraft.

Eight Mosquitos were primarily used, five airworthy and others that could not fly but could be taxied on runways or used as set dressing. The airworthy TT 35 Mosquitos were converted in an attempt to make them resemble a fighter-bomber variant (FB Mk VI). The TT 35 models had their clear nosecones and side windows painted over and dummy machine gun barrels fitted. No attempt was made to smooth over the flat "Bomb Aimer's" panel, so the result looked like a painted bomber front end, with four "Blue Peter" style bog roll centres stuck on it! However they could do nothing to deal with the bulged bomb bay and could not replicate the flat armoured glass windscreen of the FB model.

However the fourth airworthy Mosquito was a T3 with a solid nose which only required the fitting of dummy machine gun barrels. It lacked the two-stage Merlins, V-shaped windscreen and bulged bomb bay of the TT 35s, so it looked slighly more like the real thing. No attempt was made to simulate the four Hispano cannons that should also have been visible on all of the aircraft. Remind me when the 633 Squadron story was supposed to have happened (attacking a V2 Rocket fuel site suggests late in the war), but later FB VI's were also fitted with Rocket rails, and early production models had these retro fitted. The 633 FB VI's are missing these rails.

The Mosquitos used in the film were:

RS709 - flown in the film ( rebuilt as PR.XVI configuration and now at National Museum of the US Airforce Dayton now wearing serial NS519.)

RS712 - flown (later owned by Kermit Weeks, now at EAA museum Oshkosh)

RS715 - cockpit section only appears in film (Rear fuselage was acquired from Elstree and has been built into a night fighter NFII recreation HJ 711, Yorkshire Air museum)

TA639 - flown (and now at RAF Museum Cosford)

TA719 - flown (and now at Duxford)

TJ118 - cockpit section only apperaed in film (at Mosquito museum, The rear fuselage has now been acquired by the museum)

TV959 - at Bovington Airfield, but was not flown (present location unknown to me but TV959 is owned by The Flying Heritage Collection, but is believed to be still in the UK at the moment. Elvington??)

TW117 - flown (Norwegian Aircraft Museum Bodo)

No original German aircraft were available so Messerschmitt Bf 108 aircraft were used to represent the Messerschmitt Bf 109. The 108 was a two seat sports/ recreational plane that only saw limited use by the Luftwaffe as personal transport and Liason duties. It was unarmed. Although sharing some design features with the 109 it doesn't really look anything like it! (imagine a Bf109 with a greenhouse grafted onto it!)

(to be fair though the RAF impounded four Bf 108s on the outbreak of World War II and put into service, where they were designated Messerschmitt Aldon. They were used as a light communications aircraft, but they caused some confusion by being mistaken for attacking Bf 109s.)

The camera aircraft, a North American B-25 Mitchell, appears in the film, dropping Bergman back into Norway. I am unaware the type was ever used in this role! (A Halifax was surely a likely contender)

Edited by antarmike

MosquitoSquadronM5.jpg

In "Mosquito Squadron" this German M5A1 circa 1942-44

Mike,

I believe the M5A1 was one of the British gun tractor conversions and that the turret could be a dummy. Note the towing hook on the front for manouvering the 17 pdrs. It might well have been one of a batch that used lay in a dealers yard in Sussex.

OK......Been racking my brains and can't remember which film it was :

I caught the tail end of a John Wayne film set in WWII a few months back in which , needless to say , he was winning pretty much single handedly , but I'm sure he did it whilst driving round in an M38A1 . Anybody else remember it or have I imagined that one in my decrepitude ?