Canadian Ferrets coming home

robin craig

Well,

Its finally time for me to burst the cone of silence I have placed over this project. It was inspired partly by the sentiment someone posted on this forum about dying in debt.

I have inked a deal to bring two of only 124 Canadian Ferret Mk1s back from the USA to Ontario.

When they were sold off in the 1970s most of them ended up south of the border and while some remain in Canada, notably the Ontario Regiment, most still in the country ended up as hard targets on the ranges or as sad looking monuments / gate guardians.

Right now they are still in the US and will hopefully be back before Christmas.

Attached are some old pics of them, and I do know that the ersatz turet will have to go!

I will post more info and pics as things develop.

Regards

Robin

canadian ferrets bought.jpg

I dont think you guys have recognised as to how rare in a running condition a Canadian Ferret is in Canada, there were only 124 of them and I know of only about 10 or less that can crawl under their own power let alone look tidy and presentable.

With time and money at least one of these and maybe both will be very sharp examples of the marque and kept in good running order with all the correct kit per the time and the unit I do them to.

This is a big deal to us over here

Robin

I own one of the old Canadian Ferrets myself. Its runs but is missing the fuel tank and has been jerry rigged to run on an external can which is very strange. Looks good but the wiring is also a mess. I am just getting started on it as I am finishing up my British one.

• 1 month later...

Robin,

My Canadian Ferret is missing the fuel tank. There doesn't happen to be one in the jumble of spares is there? Mine has been fitted with a Mk2 Turret but to my joy and surprise, the plate with the Browning mount for it's original configuration was included with the vehicle. I am debating on whether or not to take the turret off...to my knowledge, the Canadians never used them. I wonder where it came from.

• 2 months later...

Woo Hoo!

After making the final payment a week ago, both Ferrets were collected and are in transit on the first of two legs of their journey home yesterday.

They were moved within the state of Michigan and will this morning be unloaded awaiting pick up this Thursday by my local trucking company who will bring them through the border and back to Eastern Ontario, Canada, where I live.

It has been a tortuosly slow process for a number of reasons that I won't go into at the moment.

I expect to unload them both and the crates on Friday if all goes well.

I cant believe it is actually happening

Robin

Robin,

My Canadian Ferret is missing the fuel tank. There doesn't happen to be one in the jumble of spares is there? Mine has been fitted with a Mk2 Turret but to my joy and surprise, the plate with the Browning mount for it's original configuration was included with the vehicle. I am debating on whether or not to take the turret off...to my knowledge, the Canadians never used them. I wonder where it came from.

I might have a tank spare I bought it off Bob Grundy for about £20 three or four years ago. I haven't had a look inside it for awhile but if you're in need I would rather it went to someone in need than sitting where it is. One of the brass unions has sheared off and I think that some of the screws that hold the petrol sender have sheared off as well.

Towards the bottom of the page

http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/interior.htm

Presuming that Robin hasn't already found you a tank give me a shout if you want it

Woo Hoo!

After making the final payment a week ago, both Ferrets were collected and are in transit on the first of two legs of their journey home yesterday.

They were moved within the state of Michigan and will this morning be unloaded awaiting pick up this Thursday by my local trucking company who will bring them through the border and back to Eastern Ontario, Canada, where I live.

It has been a tortuosly slow process for a number of reasons that I won't go into at the moment.

I expect to unload them both and the crates on Friday if all goes well.

I cant believe it is actually happening

Robin

Good luck

Robin,

What does a Ferret fueltank look likei.e. anyone got a photo?

Just a quickie.

Both Ferrets and the parts in boxes are back on Paradise Island. One is unloaded and under cover the other will come off the trailer on sunday and get tucked away.

Some photos will get posted in the coming days but we didnt get a chance to take many during the border crossing and the unload from highway transport owing to security concerns by customs at the Sarnia crossing and the unload from the highway transport to our own trailers as there were only two of us and it was a very cool morning and we had the clock ticking and the meter running.

Thanks to all who have given me encouragement along the way, its greatly appreciated. I will post my bank account details for donations later.

Even though Canada and the US of A are side by side and materials and people flow betwixed and between the two on a regular basis squeeky tight paperwork and prior knowledge of the Import Control Act on the import of anything green is the key.

I spent a lot of time insisting these two were properly titled / registered in Michigan and signed over to me before I would allow the deal to close. The vendor had thought that a bill of sale would be fine but I knew from bitter experience to the contrary.

Upon arriving at Customs the truck was flagged for X -Ray instantly and then a curious mk1 eye ball inspection by a horde of customs officers, all that was done within my sight but 300 metres away from me in a "secure area".

The importation paperwork into Canada was the fastest on record for me, two vehicles in less than 7 minutes and 256 Canadian dollars paid.

I am chuffed as to how smoothly it all went. The only thing that I am kind of miffed about is that a vacant lot I have been waiting for a few years to come up for sale has just been listed for sale while I have been away doing this and now I am scrambling for more financing to secure that after scrambling to make funds materialise for the two Ferrets. Oh well, c'est la guerre!

R

Edited by robin craig
spellink

Forgot to mention, on my way back from Sarnia I managed to drop in on a chap who had 3 used Ferret tyres and a used Ferret wheel for sale in Oshawa and managed to strike a deal and punt them into the Dodge. Whats the chances of Ferret items like that coming up for sale in Canada, pretty slim I would say.

I think this deal was meant to be

R