How do you submit articles to magazines?

Adam Elsdon

I was going to post this in another thread, which has closed, however, does anybody have experience in writing articles for magazines and having them published, what sort of format do they want them in, what about pictures and copyright, on your own and archived photographs.

I see it regularly about mags wanting articles, or people saying if you can do better submit one, but i have never seen anything about how they would like that.

I did do one for the EMLRA (Ex Military Landrover Association) quite a few years ago, alot of words about Land Rovers in service, bunged it in, and it was published the next month, with no changes whatsoever! either it was brilliant, or they probably needed something to pad it out!!

Anybody out there who would like to give myself and others interested in this a few pointers..

I've written a number of articales, I now have a hard A**d editor who rips all my pices to bits, demands re-writes , throws paddies if you don't spell numbers in full. He knows who he is! the thing is Mark has also got me into a lot of good habits. Try submitting something for Pathfinder. My advice is write what you want out roughly as it comes out of the brain. Then walk away for a while. Come back and tidy up, then submit to the proffesionals. It never hurts to have someone else read it. You know what you meant , it might not be clear to others. It can also be good practice to try using a minimum number of words, good discipline stops you rambaling. Format, double space, makes life a lot easier.

I agree with all of that. I started writing because i wanted to read the sort of articles that i now write. Started with an offering to Windscreen which was published and then something more elaborate for MMI.

Cant add much more to what has already been written apart from write over a period of time. Proof read. Proof read. Proof read. Get someone else to proof read. It is amazing how you keep finding mistakes. Write something, then e-mail a magazine to ask them if they are interested. Dont offer it to more than one magazine as that just puts peoples backs up. Send it in and then wait. Good luck

Tim

I've just come in from a bit of a rather thsplendid leaving do and apfelkorn has got the better of my memory, there may be others in the harsh morning light who I suddenly recall. I did consider holding this post in abeyance until the morning but I think I can stand by what I've triped this evening.

I did do one for the EMLRA (Ex Military Landrover Association) quite a few years ago, alot of words about Land Rovers in service, bunged it in, and it was published the next month, with no changes whatsoever! either it was brilliant, or they probably needed something to pad it out!!

I'll be honest and say that all submissions are appreciated for our newsletter. If it goes in "as is" then it's probably safe to say that the EMLRA editor has seen it for what it is and left it alone, all credit to the author.

In the early days I would change certain words to make the text fit a column neatly or not impinge on some other space. This approach bit me very early on and I determined from that point on that, unless the grammar and spelling was shocking, it would go in verbatim and such shortcomings would be taken up by font, pitch or picture sizes.

Some submissions have a bit of a shelf life, show reviews etc, but most are going to go in sooner or later. The size of the article can determine whether it lends itself to being serialised or forming a large proportion of an issue. I know we don't have a huge cache to draw on for the newsletter but recently the EMLRA forum, and forums such as this one, have provided the inspiration or supplementation for good copy, VCR Bill and the Export hilarity being some examples.

We have had submissions by CD in the post, USB key, emails, or simple copy and paste from the forum (possibly with unseen extras supplied by the author). I'm of the opinion that, as long as it is in context, it's valid. So that is all manner of military Land Rover, trailer, tentage, radio, livery, specials, reminisence, NSN nomenclature, in context humour, all that Post War stuff... :)

My own preference is to see a recurring theme, John Mastrangelo and the Series 1 for instance. Clive and NI and Shorlands etc. FFR Clansman or Larkspur radio is another task in hand but still needs to be expanded on in order to make regular appearances.

The reality IMHO seems to be that there are few authorities on subjects who have regularly and consistently been able to come up with the goods for our particular newsletter. If it wasn't for them then our publications would be the poorer. There are also those that demonstrate a profound knowledge of the subject but decline requests for little gems of articles. That sounds ungrateful, it's not meant to be, but sometimes it can feel like a battle making the copy.

All the best

All good advice. Here is another... make yourself familiar with the your target publication. It will have a general approach and style. I was once offered an 11 page feature on a pushbike. Very good it was, but not CMV material. Offer a mag something outside of its style or remit and you have an uphill struggle, particularly as an unknown quantity.

To answer another of Adam's questions, if you supply a photo you will be expected to have cleared copyright. If the pics are yours that is obviously no problem. Be aware that some publishers have attempted to 'rights grab'.... I won't bore you with the ins and outs of that but simply make it known that you offer pics on a 'one-use only' basis.

I don't think anyone has suggested this, but when you are proofing, read the piece out loud to yourself following your own punctuation carefully. If you turn blue and feel faint, add a few stops and commas. Seriously, it works.

Best of luck

John

Maybe this is a good idea.. Rather than critisizing CMV, maybe some of us could have useful contributions to enrich and enhance the publication. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum. To share this would be benificial to everyone.

Good idea! :)

I do semi-regular articles for the Power Wagon Advertiser, and I just type them out and e-mail them in.

The editor does need reasonable quality photographs, with permission to use, so they are usually either mine or from someone who has specifically given me permission to get them printed, but no big deal.

I've also done a short series of " how to's " on various bits of Dodge Carryall and Van, which are a pet subject of mine;

http://www.gwim2.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/carryal4.htm

... and I run and contribute to a few online fora. I've never considered it would make me any money though.

Gordon

You can get plenty practice in the SMVG's own "Despatch" Magazine....er, I did say Adam.

See me after class laddie.:cool2:

Al Smith

The Scottish Military Vehicle Group

Al, I was going to give you a shout about something i'm thinking about doing, so whoa there and watch this space!! :)

Good to see another SMVG face on here!!