Pig at Withams

antar

It unusual to still see the wing mirrors in that position. Unlike the Mk1 that had the mirrors on the door hinges on the Mk2 they were placed along the bonnet as we see here.

But in May 1977 an EMER was issued to move the mirrors to the wings but this Pig escaped this modification presumably as it went out of service fairly early on.

The first digit of the ERM is either 3 or 2. It can't be 3 as 35 BK 54 was a FV1604. I see 25 BK 54 was struck off to the Queens Division depot on 10/11/80.

Given the acute shortage parts of various kinds at this time, it would suggest that this Pig has been seriouslly robbed of important bits or is seriously knackered.

Yes the quality of the paint job is certainly lacking & attempts to make a disruptive pattern are inappropriate on a Mk2. Any suggestion that this is for disruptive IRR purposes is dispelled by the use of gloss black & its rather extraordinary distribution.

Typical army gate guard with numerous coats of flakey paint, pain in the butt to remove with paint stripper!

A needle gun would probably be the ticket, not much to worry bodywork wise on these, if its had mechanics robbed it could be a pain though.

Didnt withams have an ambulance version a little while ago, the alleged last in service pig.

Yes Adam my fingers are almost needle gun itching just to look at it. That would be very satisfying to gun down, although I expect a lot would shift with just a pressure washer! I think I can even see a bit of DBG peeping out from under there.

Yes there was that ambulance they had recently. Perhaps it was one of the last out of service & as far as 'scabby' goes probably one of the first Mk2s out of service in terms of being struck off census.