The Black tent

agripper

Just been watching the film The Black Tent. tehre are a number or tanks and afv's in it. the first you see is what looks like a Cromwell on fire with another partly altered to look like a german tank. Can anyone tell me if I am right and what other vehicles where used?

989.jpg

Would hate to think they burt a perfectly good tank for the sake of a film but I would guess there where a lot going spare. the german tank type seen is running at speed and makes a turn dragging up a hidden cable.

Hadn't heard of that movie. Now added it to the 'need to get' list for my war movie collection!

I don't know about how it is now with digital but back in the analogue days this was how to get photos from your TV screen.

You need a shutter speed that takes into account the scanning speed of the TV system otherwise you would get a black band across the screen. Usually something like 1/125th or 1/60 would do. Definitely use a tripod or other support and use standard program mode. Give it a go and see what happens.

Remember you will never get a perfect picture though due to the definition of a TV.

I spent the final 5 months of last year in Libya with work, we visited the Roman ampitheatre they show, if memory serves this was where that Bedford MW was hijacked, at a place called Sabratha, open to the public to visit with no restrictions, incredible place.

I tried to find a copy of the film on ebay, with no success, anyone ever seen it on DVD?

There is what lks like a stuart without turret, can not rember what the transport version was called.

A turretless Stuart was most likely the post-war gun tractor conversion, as in use with the British Army in the 1950s.

Hanno

Edited by mcspool

I tried to find a copy of the film on ebay, with no success, anyone ever seen it on DVD?

I found a DVD Box set on Play.com that contains the Black Tent as one of the films. It costs £47.99 though and is titled as the Donald Sinden Icon Box set. The link is http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3363401/Donald-Sinden-Icon-Box-Set/Product.html?&engine=froogle_film&keyword=Donald+Sinden+Icon+Box+Set++DVD&_$ja=tsid:11518%7Ccc:%7Cprd:3363401%7Ccat:Movie+%3E+DVD+%3E+Boxed+Sets

Edited by woa2
Missed a bit

• 1 year later...

This was on again last weekend - odd that such an unknown film should be on twice in such a relatively short space of time. In addition to the cromwell and other vehicles previously mentioned I also spotted what looked like a Sexton, posed asif it had been knocked out and half buried...

Was very interesting to see the vehicles but I'm still not sure I could bring myself to invest in the Donald Sinden box set..! (though admittedly he did some good roles when younger...)

It wouldn't be unusual for Germans to use a Bedford. Both sides made use of captured vehicles and equipment. Some trucks changed "owners" several times during the North African campaign

I've got photos of Bedfords and Morris vehicles used by the Germans. Apparentley the Quad was a sort after vehicle by the Wermacht as well. There should be a thread on captured vehicles in the HMVF dusty ceallers.

I've got photos of Bedfords and Morris vehicles used by the Germans. Apparentley the Quad was a sort after vehicle by the Wermacht as well. There should be a thread on captured vehicles in the HMVF dusty ceallers.

I guess trucks were easier to keep going than tanks and therefore more likely to be used by the enemy if captured. Also less likely to be knocked out by friendly fire !

Better watch the news closely these days and you might just see that Cromwell turret in action...welded onto the back of a Toyota Landcruiser:-D

Anyone know if any WW2 armour turned up in the fights in Libiya over the past few months, as we have seen previsously in Iraq and Afghanistan?