Landing Craft (Assault)

Stone

Do any Landing Craft (Assault) still survive?

Was having a chat with my granddad (an ex-Royal Marine who piloted one in Burma) and he said he'd seen piles of them being burned as scrap after the war - but were any preserved?

Look awkward as anything to drive, mind!

Stone

scan down the Naval Topic page and you'll find LCVP Grandchamp Maisy or use the link

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=13007

There used to be one at the Historic Warships Museum in Liverpool. Unfortunately the museum folded. The U-Boat was moved to a new site after being cut into four piece and now is the main exhibit at a new museum. HMS Onyxs was towed to Barrow I do believe, to be put on show at the Barrow shipyard. What happened to the LCVP and the other exhibits I know not.

H1HU

Has any one got some pictures of a landing craft assault, as if the size is right I might make one? for the Sugarloaf Creek. I have now done some research and one is buildable at 3mx12.5m or to fit on a trailer 5/6 scale 10.5mx2.5m which makes it trailable with out a permit. All I need is some plans or a hint of were I can get some plans.

Edited by Shakey985
spelling and added

Has any one got some pictures of a landing craft assault, as if the size is right I might make one? for the Sugarloaf Creek. I have now done some research and one is buildable at 3mx12.5m or to fit on a trailer 5/6 scale 10.5mx2.5m which makes it trailable with out a permit. All I need is some plans or a hint of were I can get some plans.

As a first port of call I would suggest the National Maritime Museum at Greenwich: http://www.nmm.ac.uk/explore/collections/by-type/ship-plans/. I belive that there have been several books on the subject published (none of which I own, so I cannot make any recommendations I am afraid).

Still see a couple of landing craft moored down between southampton and portsmouth i a ship yard as you go over a bridge on the motorway. Cant remeber the exact location. He also had what looked a a old mtb in there but didn't see that last time i was that way.

Google earth location N50deg53'13.56 w1deg17'50.1

Edited by cpltomo

For reference, you can jump to a known lat/long in Google Maps by searching for it with spaces between the groups and a comma in the middle.

Exampe: For 51 degrees 15 minutes 25 seconds north / 1 degree 10 minutes 20 seconds east enter "51 15 25, 1 10 20"; for south or west of the meridians put a minus sign in the right place. Should give you a random spot in some fields near Margate.

HTH :)

Stone

Edited by Stone

hi the only landing craft at locks heath on the hamble beside the m27 was a 1945 lcm which was 57ft long and 16ft wide and had twin detroit diesels had a excavator in it ! got weighed in for scrap about a year go the owner refused many offers to sell it.

Many years ago there was a replica of the front end of an LCA at the D-Day Museum in Southsea, which I believe still has it's LCVP. They were also far more numerous than the Higgin's Boat (LCVP) during Overlord, due to the majority of the LCVP's being used in the Pacific. RM and RN crewed LCA's landed the US Rangers at Point du Hoc and at Dog Green on Omaha beach.

Here's a pic of one

http://www.strijdbewijs.nl/landing/lca1.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The vessel pictured above was called the Shurn and was used to transport good's and passenger's from our boat to the shore. It was built in Ilfracombe, the wheel's are undriven. It used to pull itself ashore using a large deck mounted winch. It became obsoleate when the jetty was instaled and was last seen around the Torridge river by Bideford. A vessel bassed in Bideford is the Severn Sins It is Ibelive an old LCV. I have attached a picture of it off Putsbourgh beach.

Landing craft @ Puts.jpg

assuming the landing craft you mean are Higgins boats which I think are the only wooden ones there are quite a few survivors in Normandy ,1 at the Utah beach museum 1 at the Omaha bech museum 2 at a privately owned museum above Omaha 1 at Battery Maisy and 1 at Arromanches as well as 1 that was displayed at the Isle of Wight tank museum and 1 owned by a movie prop company who also own the IOW 1 I think.Plus there was one displayed on a roundabout on the south coast somewhere which I believe was discussed on here previously.

For more info on these boats search the higgins boat project on the web

hope this helps

Nigel

• 2 months later...