Fox tyres

fv721cvrw

Any ideas on where to find some Michelin XL 1100 x 20 's ??? I have read the previous enquiry and also found Vass Tyres with the 1200's. At Beltring this year the sand coloured Fox 11FD24 had virtually brand new Michelin tyres on, or anyone know of any down sides to getting the treads re-cut?

Cheers Martin

Edited by fv721cvrw
more info

it's like anything with MV's - how much are you prepared to pay...

one of the most often referenced sources is aircraft tyres in Belgium. No idea what price, you'll have to ask. (as a guide their 9.00x16 are over £200 each)

http://www.aircrafttyres.com/Products%20and%20prices%20tyres.htm

scroll down a bit as items are listed by size, their website shows they can source new 11.00x20 Michelin XL, but just cos the picture is on their website it does not mean they have any in stock, but should be able to supply

alternatively the guy I bought my Fox from has listed his old tyres on here before, ie the ones he took off and replaced with the new ones on it now. They are OLD and unsurprisingly did not sell.

John. Thanks for the info. I have looked on the site and found the 1100 R 20 XL's. I have also emailed them requesting a price for a set of 4 and also asked if there would be any savings if a load of Fox owners got together for a bulk order.

Will post the reply when it arrives.

Martin.

As promised here is the reply from Vrakking Tyres in the Netherlands and I think he has quoted PER TYRE and NOT for a SET OF 4 !!!!

I have sent an email for clarification in the hope that it is a set of 4 :rofl:

Still waiting a reply from Michelin.:sleep:

Dear sir,

We can offer new Michelin 11.00R20 XL for 250 euro

With regards,

Jan Vrakking

export/marketing manager

H. Vrakking BV Tyres

Location "Dintelmond"

Sluisweg 10

4794 SW Heijningen

The Netherlands

Tel. (31) (0)167-523785

Fax. (31) (0)167-524719

E-mail export@aircrafttyres.com

Web www.aircrafttyres.com

20.000m2 agriculture tyres, truck tyres, industrial

tyres, rejected aircrafttyres and boatfenders

Edited by fv721cvrw

Per tyre sounds about right - Welcome to the world of rubber! :banana:

XLB (think it's just a different compound - harder?)possibly available from agricultural/plant tyre dealers. 12.00 x 20 are probably going to be much easier to find.

Might be worth trying:

Rocklug Tyres (stock Michelin new and part-worn) 01361 884777

or Kirkby Tyres 08702428800

or JB Rubber at Corby (if still trading?)

We can offer new Michelin 11.00R20 XL for 250 euro

I don't want to rain on your parade, but those Michelin tyres are tubeless. The divided rims on a Fox cannot be used for tubeless tyres. The Foxes you have seen with Michelins will have Hutchinson runflat inserts in them, they are a very heavy rubber insert that is fitted inside the tyes and have a valve in them to inflate, this is how they make the tyres runflat. When I worked for the army, we had to send these tyres away to a company who had the equipment to fit the insert into the tyre. Either that or you will have to fit a tube, although some tubeless tyres have ribs inside that chafe the tube.

I have a Beford MJR with two of these 12.00 tyres on the front, so they will take a tube OK (at least I'm assuming they have tubes in them as the rims are tube type). The XL/XLB tyres were common fitment on Electricity Board Bedfords at one time, before the Goodyear G299 became popular.

I have a Beford MJR with two of these 12.00 tyres on the front, so they will take a tube OK (at least I'm assuming they have tubes in them as the rims are tube type). The XL/XLB tyres were common fitment on Electricity Board Bedfords at one time, before the Goodyear G299 became popular.

Tony,

The rims on the Bedford M types are not divided rims ( ie. bolt together type) so should take tubeless I would have thought. Get your point though.

I'll have to have a look, Richard. These tyres were fitted to Eager Beavers weren't they? Did they have Bedford type rims or split?

Oh, forgot about them they are divided wheels of the same type as Fox, etc, must have been tubed tyres...........thinking about it, the first EB had normal Dunlop Trakgrip fitted. These rims usually have slots to enable the valve to be fitted, so not suitable for tubeless.

Lee can confirm as he has replaced the tyres on his Fox.

As Richard says you cannot re-fit the Hutchinson inserts, see Lee's post here explaining the considerable effort he made to change them

he is clearly now running on replacement Michelin tyres so he (or his tyre fitter) managed it somehow.

When my run flats ran flat I had to cut the 'run flat' insert to remove it from within the tyre.

The insert was, if my recollection is correct, made in France but I cannot remember the name on it.

I then used a tube, having first inserted the rim liner to protect the tube from the split in the split rim.

I have had no problems since and have, at the moment, 2 run flats and 2 tubed.

So the tubes are OK inside the tubeless tyres (so far).

N.O.S. thanks for the contacts......will try them. Not so sure about trying 12.00R20 although they are more readily available (new from Vass).

Edited by fv721cvrw

• 2 weeks later...