Big Slipway in Havant Hampshire

Parked up for my lunch the other day and found this slipway, its huge must be 60 feet wide all concrete, the base and sides as well.

Does any body have any ideas why it would be so big and why there.

Must have some sort of war time link.

Here's a Google map link

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=50.843224,-1.002736&spn=0.000769,0.002747&t=h&z=19

My first thought was that it could be hovercraft related, but I've just zoomed out on the Google map photo and there are some strange crop marks in the field behind....

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=50.843224,-1.002736&spn=0.000769,0.002747&t=h&z=19

Could they be related?

They're round so could they be remenants of storage tanks?

Looks like a boat lift ramp. With the concrete side walls and track jutting out so that a boat lift could lift the boat out while it is still in the water.

Like this one?

http://www.ypmalta.com/bins/site/templates/default.asp?area_2=pages/products/main&norelay_filemanager_path=/ypmalta.com/bins/site/content/images/Products/&show_image_browser_showimage=true&sib_filename=Wise.jpg&objectid=C69B8170&NC=1289X

Edited by cpltomo
Adding link

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

On Friday night I was continuing my trawl through old posts, when I came across the comment on a slipway at Havant, and Mulberry Harbours. I was curious so went investigating things. I could not find anything specific to Broadmoor slipway (the actual location) relating to WW2, but did find some other stuff.

The second picture is of an ex Army RCL L105 Arromanches at the slipway, in use as a civilian vessel. (Picture copyright Scarletpimpernel on Flickr). The first picture is of the same craft when it was in use by the RN as L112 Agheila.

The third picture is a Google earth shot of a Phoenix caisson still in Langtone Harbour, which is where the slipway is. Three Phoenix were built at nearby Hayling Island to supplement the Mulberrys, one broke and sank during its launch and it is still there.

Amazing what you find!

arromanches.jpg

agheila l112.jpg

Langstone Harbour Pheonix.jpg

The slots at the end of the slipway suggest it was built to have a caisson fitted to turn it into a simple dry dock. Bring the vessel in at high tide, drop the caisson in and wait for the tide to go out.

Andy