Importing a vehicle from Europe

bawtrylwt

Well since no-one else has replied I'll stick my totally ignorant oar in and say the best bet is to phone the DVLA, HMRC, VOSA and the VCA and explain it to them and ask what they need to see.

The answers I've had from them about a '70s truck were:

DVLA: Just write whatever you can be bothered to on the V55/5.

HMRC: If it's coming from inside the EU we very much doubt there'd be anything to pay.

VOSA: As long as it has the rating plate on it somewhere, just put it in for the relevant MOT.

VCA: It's too old for us to care about.

If it's armour it may be a bit trickier, maybe make sure you emphasize things like "deactivated" or "no longer in service" - with all these agencies they will revert to certain answers once out of their comfort zone so you need to steer the conversation slightly through the minefield of their ignorance.

If possible, get the names of people you speak to, or even better record the conversations.

Even non EU the shipper charges the VAT, and can be very helpful. I brought a K3 back from Jersey, to be told on importation that VAT needed paying before removal from dock, AH-HA! The purchase price wern't low, the shipper saw me hesiate and said'Would a value of say £200 be fair?' I promptly answered 'Yes' handed over £30 and went on my way.

• 1 month later...

Just do it. Once it is back in running condition you need an MOT and then you can get it registered. If it has no paperwork you will need a dating letter (MVT can help with that). DVLA may insist on seeing the vehicle before issuing a registration which is a pain as you are not allowed to drive it there. I've driven two Russian jeeps back from Germany and didn't have any problems.

I just brought a GMC CCKW over from France. It was low-loadered over as the brakes need fixing, but there was absolutely no issue leaving the French port, or questions on arrival in the UK. It would have been easier to drive it over and, probably, more fun....

DVLA inspection is usually required when you're registering a vehicle that doesn't have recent registration papers from a member EU country, or especially when seeking an age-related plate.

I bought a 45 MB back from Norway in 2005, spent 14 months restoring it to 'as new' and had to take it to DVLA Chelmsford for inspection/verification. I checked with Roadsure and Essex Police, as I'd had mixed answers from DVLA about whether I could drive the MB the 40 miles round trip and I was told I could drive it without registration plates (not yet allocated!) providing it was to a confirmed appointment, and that the insurance was valid, despite being on the chassis number. I drove to the inspection, and had previously driven for the MoT without plates - no hassle from the Police.

Having said that, as we got close to completing the restoration (no hood, no windshield, lights not all functional, etc...) we decided to give it a spin up the road - check the gears, clutch, brakes, etc... We NEVER see Police where I live (country lanes & the like), but as fate would have it they were about that day. After a quick 'reminder' of road regulations, the officer wanted the full info on this 'as new' MB!!

I guess it's who you speak with and an element of luck on the day!

When repainting my brothers Jeep we also drove it partially stripped and (offcourse) met Police.

They stopped us, asked questions and let us of with a warning.

Main thing is to stay honest and polite, they are only doing their job after all.

It was a bit of a joke really. I spoke to both local and Swansea DVLA and they were firm on the "you can't drive it here" policy. DVLA Swansea even suggested they would "take measures" if I did. No details of what those measures were. Anyway, I forked out £105 to rent a low-loader and drove to the local DVLA. Inspector comes out, says "Oh, so that's what a Gaz looks like", asks where the VIN number is, says he can't read it but that doesn't matter as it's on the German registration papers. Took less than a minute.

Having said that, as we got close to completing the restoration (no hood, no windshield, lights not all functional, etc...) we decided to give it a spin up the road - check the gears, clutch, brakes, etc... We NEVER see Police where I live (country lanes & the like), but as fate would have it they were about that day. After a quick 'reminder' of road regulations, the officer wanted the full info on this 'as new' MB!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOW UNLUCKY WAS THAT Chris ?.......:-)