Museum or not

Great War truck

M Rimmer - agree 100% about preserving vehicles as they are with warts and all , battle damage on something should never be repaired unless it actualy stops it from working - I wonder how many "restorations" actualy straighten out body work and damage that was caused by action and use in service , and yes some vehicles in a musem preserved in an as found or recoverd state tell far more of a story than if they were made good as new , the OP did state in his question that it was a fully restored vehicle that could run and drive - if thats the case then it should be used - to fully restore a vehicle to running condition and then never allow it to run just seems to be a waste of time and effort... I suppose you could regard it as preserving it for future generations to be able to run it and drive it but unless they are educated in how things work and run then in two or three generations they won't even know how or be able to start the thing - I know of seemingly identical GMC's that all require different ways of starting and woe betide you if you forget which one likes 3 pumps on the throttle and which one likes none :-D

I fully agree that restoring something to working order and then not running it at all seems pointless. I suppose if we lived in an ideal world there would be both a conserved original and a restored to full working order examply of each tank,aircraft,truck etc ever built-but as we don't I guess that's for a "fantasy museum" thread!.

IMO many military museums are rather behind others when it comes to how they deal with the conservation of vehicles of all types.

Thought provoking thread. Iv'e often thought about this topic particularly when viewing cold exhibits in various museums. As to the static vs running discussion I think it may depend on the individual's own personal experience, for example if you have owned and or driven the particular vehicle on display you view the exhibit with that bank of information available with regard to the driving experience, sound, smell heat ect. If however you don't have that knowledge then looking at a cold exhibit is reduced to just that........looking.........., in other words the greater part of what makes up the exhibit.... it's essence if you will... is lost to the viewer. For me this is brought into sharp focus when I have visited Hendon for example, I know what a Lanc or Spitfire sounds and looks like in flight but I'm left feeling vaguely cheated as I stare at the Stuka or the Hamden and wonder what they sounded like on start up or in flight.

This has been a rather long way of saying that for me I think it's better to keep our trucks on the move and by preference in our ownership, I agree with Matt's comment.... 'many military museums are rather behind others when it comes to how they deal with the conservation of vehicles'... covered in dust and often looking a little neglected in my experience.

Pete

There is a BIG difference bettween conservation and restoration. Conservation is to stop something deteriarting from the condition in which is found. Restoration implies bringing the object up to the state when first manufactured. Maintaning the balance on something like a vehicle, that needs parts replacing from time to time to keep it running is a fine art. What really hacks me of is to see things such as a museum with a WW2 Jeep and a modern nylon camo net stuck on the back! Especially when the Museum's 'expert' starts telling you it is corectly fitted out. (This conversation came to an abrubt end when the 'expert' was told to look out the window. See the 1944 Dodge WC51!)

Edited by Tony B

Tony, you are so correct with your comment regards museum experts.

So many are there doing a job in which their education and training has not fully covered them for. I speak here of professional people with a degree, finding employment outside of their particular field of interest, then having to participate and learn another area of study.

Also tenure of a position also has an influence. Someone on a short term contract will have a differant approach to there work to that of a longer term arrangement.

I know that in saying this, there will be exceptions, differences and variations to employment positions, the requirments of the people employing, and of those being employed.

Doug :undecided:

Hopefully i won’t need to worryabout disposing of my vehicles for a good number of years.

All of my cars run and have beenrestored and maintained to be as in close as an original condition aspracticable.

Im concerned that many museums (forwhatever reasons) dispose of vehicles, don’t necessarily have the expertise (ormindset) to look after running vehicles, go bankrupt, and sometimes fall preyto thieves and con artists.

One of my vehicles was loaned to amuseum for many years. When the then owner came to collect it, the entireinterior and other mechanical items had been stripped out and lost.

It was suspected that the interiorhad in fact been sold!

A friend of mine has consideredpresenting restored and running car to the Regiment that originally used it andwith which his father served.

However with the state of the MODfinances I would think the chances of the vehicle staying with the regiment arevery slim.

And would not recommend this gestureof good faith.

In my opinion the MOD accountants willaxe the cost of running or properly maintaining the car.

It will then go the IWM, the IWMwill pass it on to the other major museums,

they will already have an example ofthis vehicle type and so also pass it on,

and it will end up god knows where.

The best way of protecting my carsis by selling them to the highest possible bidder!

I believe that someone who has spenta great deal of money will be likely to correctly store & maintain thevehicle, if only to protect their investment. Likewise if something goes bang they should have the money to remanufacture the part.

Singe

I believe that someone who has spenta great deal of money will be likely to correctly store & maintain thevehicle, if only to protect their investment. Likewise if something goes bang they should have the money to remanufacture the part.

Singe

Very good point that. It will also increase the chance of the vehicle being used which we all know is crucial to improve their longevity.