CCKW roof bows

casper

Question

Anyone know where to get CCKW roof bows, Rex Ward has non.

Or has any one made any ?

I suspect they can be made by steaming the wood then holding it in a curved jig for some time would do the job.

Any advice or experience most welcome.

Kind regards

9 answers to this question

I was thinking about doing some once and there does seem to be a steady demand for them....

Is possible and steam bending is fun - but can also drive a man to drink at the beginning. When would you need some by??

Cheers,

Jack.

Thanks boys, all very helpful, I like the bit about driving a man to drink..........

I've had a loook on the web and it looks within my capabilities, any ideas on the type of wood, most of it looks like ash.

RGDS

Casp - ash or oak is fine but it has to be knot free......

Ash is frighteningly expensive. The biggest cost of restoring the WS10 trailer has been the Ash wood. How do you intend to finish the roof? Is it canvas covered? We are looking at putting a brethable roof tile membrane over the roof before the canvas. The idea is stop condensation inside and also protect the wood. Canvas is a lot cheaper to replce.

My ash supply is cheap enough and i will inspect for knots before purchase.

Re: breather membrane under canvas, I would think very hard about it. i believe the moisture would pass through the breather membrane onto the inner side of the canvas and as the canvas is denied its natural airflow to evaporate the moisture would cause damp in the canvas.

When used as underfelt in house roofs there is an air gap beneath the tile that allows the moisture to evaporate. true that the wooden tile battens sandwich the membrane to the roofing rafter but the only path of moisture to the sandwiched area would be through the rafter

Only a theory but plausible.

Casper