Does anyone run a BMP?

mac_xpert

Yes, it's a UTD-20. I'll make a call and ask for price. You need it with, or without a gearbox and clutch?

RengerNeil is looking for exactly the same things!:P

He would be - that's me on the Russian Trucks forum!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't need a UDT-20 right now - I'm being VERY careful as to how I start mine, religiously floating the crank first then using the air start wherever possible.

Point was that if you don't float the crank first then, due to the weight of the crankshaft, you soon will need a new engine!! There was one in the work shop when I collected my OT - and I could not lift it unassisted......

• 2 weeks later...
neil what do you mean 'float the crank'....?

The crankshaft sits on a liquid bearing of oil, which drains back into the sump(?) when the engine's stopped. Until the crank is sat in the right place resting on its layer of oil, it will severely mangle the engine if run...so you have to run the electric oil pump long enough to float the crank before you can start it. Otherwise you'll be buying a new engine before too long!

Do I win a prize? :D

Stone

The crankshaft sits on a liquid bearing of oil, which drains back into the sump(?) when the engine's stopped. Until the crank is sat in the right place resting on its layer of oil, it will severely mangle the engine if run...so you have to run the electric oil pump long enough to float the crank before you can start it. Otherwise you'll be buying a new engine before too long!

Do I win a prize? :D

Stone

You do indeed sir - report to Jack in the clubhouse to awarded your coconut! :)

Recommended procedure from RME - endorsed by all the ex-BMP crew members I've spoken to at the W&P show is to press the oil prime button for about 5 seconds then hit the start button - air first, then electric if the air flask is drained.

They have a "nice" way of reminding you of this after a hundred yards or so!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously though - to go through the start procedures for the OT you need to be looking directly as the IP - and the oil prime button is pretty prominent to the left of centre thus grabs your attention. Followed by the two start buttons....

Either see me next time the OT is out and about (probably W&P 2010) and I'll show you - or, if you want, pop over to Gt Yeldham one weekend where she lives in an ex-RAF hangar surrounded by old buses and railway carriages.

As an aside to the main topic - mine is getting due for a paint job next year as the scars of over2 years ownership are starting to show. One of the guys over on the Russian Truck forum pointed me at a site that has a goodly few pics on it. From this I came up with the two options below. First seems to be an overlay of light green, tan and black-green over the base green The other is overall sand with a terracotta cammo overlay.

Right now - I think I favour the first scheme!! :)

Edited by Marmite!!
Edit photo links

No, you're right, it's an MTLB with an upgraded turret, I just meant to copy the flamboyant paint scheme :D

Out of interest are you buying MTLB, MTLBu (extra road wheel, uglier) or MTLBv (wide snow tracks)? I think they're beautiful little things but have nowhere to put one! Would love to see one greenlaning...

Stone

If you speak Russian there's a great video on Youtube, nice knife-edge!

Something went wrong...

I can't grab more than the odd word here and there, but 4 pedals? And what's going on with that crazy gear shift? :confused:

Stone

yes very nice machine but got to agree what is that gear change all about...the big problem with all of these russian toys is that they are so damn wide...too wide...and so only allowed off road...will let you know when I get one...

Maybe the long gearstick is to accomodate the highest seat position (head out of hatch)? It looks very uncomfortable though!

I bet you could register one, not necessarily lying about the width but just blinding them with science a bit maybe? Don't ask Neil for help ;) If you filled in *all* the fields on the form and took it to a local office in person you might have more chance.

An MT-LB is only 6cm wider than a 432 and there are tons of those on the roads. Fold the wing mirrors in ;)

Stone