Jeep Disaster...

Ivy House

Last year I bought a 1958 Hotchkiss Jeep in what I thought was quite good condition, I was assured it would fly through an MoT and so being a novice vehicle owner,I bought it. This was in August last year.

Since last August the Jeep did less than 30 miles, to my parents barn and back where it's been kept over Winter.

As it was un-registered in the UK and I was bringing it back to France it took me 4 months to get it sorted out, lots of red tape and form filling, to get the Controle Technique (MoT) I had to buy a complete set of brakes and discs all round, a new carburettor as the one on it was cracked and spat petrol all over the engine, then the lights stopped working, then the batteries died and had to buy new ones, to get it MoT'd then registered cost me just over 900 Euros, as it costs 140 euros just to register the vehicle. I also had to take it ti 2 MoT's and got charged both times.

For the past 6 months it's sat covered up in the barn, two weeks ago I rubbed it all down and re-sprayed the jeep the colour I wanted and added all the bolt on bits and stencils etc.. ready for June, all was going well until I decided to take it for a road test. I took it staedy and did about 20 miles, at a junction I could hear a loud hissing sound and looked at the temperature gauge rapidly rising... :(

I spent most of yesterday trying to discover the problem, (being a first time mechanic and having no manual!!) the radiator is knackered, the head gasket is knackered, the waterpump is knackered, there was no thermostat, some of the pipes are split in places and one or two other bits, so I called Jeepest and ordered all the parts I need, another 700 euros! :(

So if you're new to buying old MV's like me, make sure you take an expert with you when you go to look at one, it'll be expensive if you don't!!

Right now I've got my fingers crossed I'll have it all ready for June.

Steve

Oh hell mate.

I am so sorry to hear that as I know how much work and money you have put into this already.

Where the hell did you get it from, sounds to me like someone has pulled a fast one. Can you go back to the seller or is to light.

Ask the Jeep chaps on here if they have any advice as these sorts of vehicles throw all the way until they are practically rebuilt.

Just focus on getting it ready for June.

Again sorry to hear your news.

Jack.

Sorry to hear the bad news :(

Really sucks when you buy something in good faith and then find you've effectively been had!! (now keeping my fingers crossed given I've just gone and bought..)

Console yourself with the thought of all the fun you WILL have once she's up and running though...

Thats the spirit!!!!! :D:D:D

Incidentally keep meaning to ask - whereabouts are you on the Utah beach stretch?? We took the caravan over last year and stayed at a site - "Le Cormoran" - up on the western tip last year and had a fantastic time wandering around the museums etc. and would love to go back again to see the British and Canadian beaches

Hi Neil,

We live about 600 metres from the Museum, 500m inland from the beach, from our house you can see the Memorial onthe Bunker and the flags, from the garden you can see other German Bunkers too. We are very close to Exits 2 and 3 of Utah Beach and only two minutes drive from Brecourt Manor, Ste Marie du Mont and the 101st Drop Zones.

If you fancy coming over again let me know, we give a discount to all MV Owners! From here most of our guests tour the British & Canadian Sectors also, it takes just under and hour to reach Pegasus Bridge, then you can drive back up along the coast road (D514) past Sword, Juno & Gold Beaches, Arromanches, Omaha Beach etc...

Best regards,

Steve

Steve,

Taking an M201 back to France? Sounds a bit like coals to Newcastle to me, I hope you got a good deal on it!

I got mine in France and drove it back to the UK on a temporary French reg. Luckily the only problem I had on the way home was a broken speedo cable and the drivers side wiper stopped, wouldn't have been too bad except for the torrential rain :(

I then had two good years of use then my gearbox blewup and lost me a whole season. Its only just fixed so i'm looking forward to this year :!:

Good luck with your rebuild I hope the Gods are smiling on you and you don't find anything else.

Did you mention new brake Discs? Have you got a conversion kit fitted, I never have full confidence in the drums and have been thinking of converting, there was a set on ebay a few weeks back but I didn't have the courage or money to pursue them.

Paul

Hi Ivy house

That sucks!

I know how you feel, been there myself.

I bought a M38 Jeep in 1995, no MoT but the brakes and steeringproblems wouldn't be a problem - yeah right.

That cost me a shitload of money (all my savings were spend in buying it).

Then more bad luck, the engine was cracked.....a replacement one cost 450 Euro ( then 1000 guilders).

The spare parts dealer Wildenberg gave me a discount, we are friends since then.

The best advise I can give new MV owners is to at least get a MoT one and take a guy along who knows the kind of vehicle.

Offcourse to late now for you (and me back then).

Wish you goodluck and lots of fun with your Jeep.